Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IHA 97 Chevy Malibu. The e-brake light came on today with the brake off. I engaged it and released it several times. The brake releases but the light stays on accompanied by that really annoying "Bing! Bing! Bing!" when I drive off.

Is there a switch or something I can check?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the reservoir. It's full. The brakes are new(er). This is the first time this has happened. I know the e-brake is disengaging because there is no "lag" or sluggish feeling when driving. Nor does it have that aromatic burnt dog hair smell. Is it possible it is not fully releasing the shoes? Enough so that it drives fine but not enough that the system thinks it is still engaged?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
California. Inland. No rust issues here. While I appreciate the tape idea I would prefer to find the problem and fix it.

BTW, all fuses are good.

Would it be worth my time to take off the rear drums and check to see of the shoes are releasing all the way? Although, I'm not sure that would be productive since the brake is releasing. It's that light on the dash and the “bing, bing, bing” that is the real problem.

Where are the sensors for that?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The "Bing" noise it the warning chime that sounds when the parking brake is still engaged.

The cable for the e-brake is moving when the peddle is depressed and then released again. Could it be a sensor? If so, where would it be on the e-brake mechanism?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, I gave United Malibu a note on this perhaps they can help. BTW CERBOMARK that photo of your Malibu is great! Do you have others? Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.