Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any thoughts or dealer input about having the oil changed on the 2.4 Ecotec engine after the first 1,000? They were still doing this on my 2001 Saab 9-5, the last new vehicle that I purchased. My dealer says that there is no need to, however, I tend to keep cars a long time and think it might be wise.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I used to say go ahead. But some folks more knowledgable about today's cars and the way they're manufactured say no, not any more. Just go with a normal routine. The 'bu was going to get a 3000 mile first change (hey, that's conservative based on the OLS and the engine's design- I'm sure of that part). Not now though- when the OLS runs down, it'll get changed, as it will every time after. And it still shows 60% at roughly 5000 miles on the clock..

·
Registered
112 Posts
I changed the oil in my 6 cyl at 1k miles. No doubt it's overkill.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Was at 1700 mi a week back and I was going to do my first oil change (4cyl/6sd) but I could only find the Fram filter part. A Moble-1 filter was also listed as an alternate but it wasn't in stock. I opened the Fram box and look at the filter, it seemed to be just a flimsey single layer paper cartridge. Anyone know which filter brands are making a better multilayer version for the 4cyl?

I don't want to wait much longer. I may need to go to a specialty auto store just to get a better filter, more $$$. I wonder if it will need to be a special ordered part.

DrD

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hmmm, interesting considering that the engine still needs to be broken and also the fluids they add during assembly. Thinking this comes down to truly personal preference.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm at 1050, and just scheduled an oil change for later this week. Probably overkill, but I want to make sure with my new car :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Was at 1700 mi a week back and I was going to do my first oil change (4cyl/6sd) but I could only find the Fram filter part. A Moble-1 filter was also listed as an alternate but it wasn't in stock. I opened the Fram box and look at the filter, it seemed to be just a flimsey single layer paper cartridge. Anyone know which filter brands are making a better multilayer version for the 4cyl?

I don't want to wait much longer. I may need to go to a specialty auto store just to get a better filter, more $$$. I wonder if it will need to be a special ordered part.

DrD
My 6 cylinder takes the K&N 1017 oil filter. Look up your car on the K&N site. They make great stuff.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just got back from the dealer. Had the dealer change the oil when I got the car delivered, now got the second change done at 1149 miles.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just had mine changed today at 2,400 miles

I changed the oil on my '07 Ion Redline at 2,000 miles (when I had it) and it had the cartridge/insert type filter.
There were metal shavings in the filter though for sure....so it doesn't hurt to change the oil early & get rid of that crap

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Just did mine this afternoon with 619 miles :D, king kong must have put the filter on at the factory :mad: tried all my filter wrenches and finally had to run a screw driver thru the filter to get it off. opened up the filter and it had particles in the filter media also :eek:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just did mine this afternoon with 619 miles :D, king kong must have put the filter on at the factory :mad: tried all my filter wrenches and finally had to run a screw driver thru the filter to get it off. opened up the filter and it had particles in the filter media also :eek:
it's normal for the "media".....that's just more reason to do an early oil change (for those that actually care about their car)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yeah, as much as many say not to worry, I just cannot fathom how much "junk" is left over in the car from when they build it and to just let that all run through the engine, Don't think so, early oil changes are ok in my books

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.