Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I get a car allowance where I work, and the money you receive per month goes up if your car reaches certain mpg as listed on fueleconomy.gov. I was planning on getting the LTZ with the V6 package but if I go with the Ecotech I can increase my monthly allowance from 525 to 575. I think I will be test driving both engines after work today.

What do you think, I can't really think of any reason to stay with the V6. (Except for more HP)

I've been driving an 01 Olds Intrigue and my wife has a 04 Malibu Maxx which we love. Both have V6 engines.

Thanks for any Input.

·
Registered
569 Posts
We own both the 4 and 6 cylinder, Both are peppy but the V6 to me just rides better and the added HP is nice for when you really want to get up and go.

For your situation I would look at what the allowance gives you.. if the added money is something you need then go with the 4 but if you want the extra power and money is not really an important factor then go with the V6 both are great

·
Registered
749 Posts
Although the official MPG rates the I4 a little better in MPG.. I've actually found that I'm getting better fuel milage on my V6 with 6-speed than I did on my Cobalt SS Sedan (I4 with 4-speed).. as far as I'm aware it's basically the same engine (2.4L ~171hp?)

From what I've heard from people.. the I4 on the Malibu will get you from point A to B just fine.. but if you're kind of an aggressive driver like me and really want to move when you tell the car to.. I'd opt for the V6.. and where your allowance only goes up by $50/month I don't really see you loosing out on that much.

I'd wait for a few more opinions though obviously before just listening to mine haha

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would say I'm probably a pretty aggressive driver :) I'm leaning towards the V6, I'm betting the test drive will make the decision for me. Thanks for your input!

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
The 3.6 is a very sweet engine...I am not too aggressive, but I love the hassle free pull that this engine has.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Let us know what you decide after driving both. I went for the 2.4. It is very quiet, but not too quick.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the same situation when I got mine in Sept. '09. Mine is a company car, but the amount of our co-pay is based on the EPA combined mileage.

The V-6 would have cost me and extra $10/week, so I went with the I-4. I am not an aggressive driver so the extra HP did not mean much to me. Besides with traffic anymore, who has a chance to drive that fast . The 4 is plenty for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahh that's a beautiful engine! Only a few more hours. I keep telling my self that I am not going to buy it today, but I don't know if I'll be able to resist the temptation. Thanks again for your suggestions.

-John

·
Registered
438 Posts
I guess it depends what you want. From what I hear there isn't a huge difference in mpg between the engines when compared with practical driving, but the EPA estimate is what matters for your allowance. Personally I'd take less money to have the 3.6 because it's smoother, more fun, and not much less in actual mpg (not EPA). The Eco engine is good though, too, and you'll probably be happy with either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I spent about an hour and a half test driving yesterday. I decided to go with the Ecotech, cause I just couldn't come up with a reason to pay more and loose the extra money, just so I could speed up faster :) (The dual exhausts look really nice on the V6 though!)

I'm really happy with the car, I just wish it could control my Iphone.

Malibu LTZ, Black Granite, Ebony/Brick

-John

·
Registered
569 Posts
I think I spent about an hour and a half test driving yesterday. I decided to go with the Ecotech, cause I just couldn't come up with a reason to pay more and loose the extra money, just so I could speed up faster :) (The dual exhausts look really nice on the V6 though!)

-John
Welcome to the family :D

·
Registered
438 Posts

-John
Does your car not have bluetooth or does the iPhone not have it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The I-phone wont play music through bluetooth. (Thanks Apple) I was checking out the posts about the PAL adapter, I might look into that. The aux input works fine for now.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The I-phone wont play music through bluetooth. (Thanks Apple) I was checking out the posts about the PAL adapter, I might look into that. The aux input works fine for now.
ahhh, you can usethe bluetooth feature to play music? My phone will output stereo audio via bluetooth, but I didn't know the system in the car would take it. How does that work?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.