Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Greetings, was at my storage unit and loaded a few boxes in the trunk of my Chevy Malibu limited. Well one of the box hooked on the emergency release handle. It was hanging there. No big deal, kind of tucked it back. Hmmm, now trunk will not latch shut. So I pulled the emergency release and I do not think it moved. It seams suck open. I tried to push the latch shut by putting a screw driver against the latch to have it trigger shut. No success. Tried to push the wire back (opposite direction of the pull open). No luck.

Any suggestions? Do I need to remove the trunk carpet/ liner To get at the latch? Not sure how to do that are they just pop in or screws?

Almost got pulled over my cops ...... probably wondered why my trunk was open driving home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi, took it to the local dealer and they checked it out. They suggested replacing the trunk assembly for $429. I said no and they lowered it to $330. I searched eBay and found a used replacement for $54.

pulled the carpet and noticed the trunk button was not making a noise when I pushed it. I checked the trunk fuse and it was blown. Replaced the fuse and everything works. needless to say a little mad at the dealership. Called and left a message with dealership and they did not respond back.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,858 Posts
They were probably gonna replace it, only to find out it still didn't work, then replace the fuse and charge you more for the added diagnosis and part.

When electrical things stop working, a fuse check is in order as the first thing.

The next thing you need to be ready for is the fuse blowing out again, which will then mean that either a wire is shorting out or the release motor needs attention.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i have same problem with my 2015 Bu, battery was dead and i get to trunk emergency open via trunk to get a powerbank, but after i opened it, i can close it.. its didnt latch. i played with a screwdriver to the lach mechanism ( tryed to latch it manualy, but didnt luck ), after i connected a power to battery and powered a car, i pressed a few time ( like 10-20 times maybe, it trunk release button ) and after that its closed like new :), maybe i just a bit lucky with a trunk :), but didnt lucky with a pistons, got 1st cyl cracked piston.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts