Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share some information on here that we discovered this morning. Please don’t poke fun at me if this has already been shared , but I could not find anything about my problem on the web today. I have a 2015 Malibu purchased certified pre owned in 2016. I love this car and I trust it to carry my family around everyday. We keep up with regular maintenance on this car and have never had any issues with it, until today. We started out with our normal routine, started the car and let it warm up for a few minutes before we left for work, drove about 5 miles to drop kid off at bus stop. When my husband shifted into reverse to leave, the car suddenly died and would not try to crank at all. No warning lights whatsoever. Even worse, the key was stuck in the ignition at the accessory position with the car shifted in park. Thankfully we were at a safe location to leave the car as it was for a short time. So fast forward past a few phone calls to automotive service companies which included a certified Chevy dealer, all of whom did not have any ideas to what the problem could be without having it towed in to run a diagnostic, if they could even get to it this week. Last call was to a local, independent mechanic and I described the situation to him. He did some troubleshooting over the phone, asked me several questions while he was researching the model online, determining that our model had the economical Auto Stop feature, and suggested that it sounded like the battery had gone bad. Evidently, this feature is designed to save on fuel but is hard on the battery. To my knowledge, it was still the original battery from the factory. It never occurred to me to have the battery tested since we had not had any trouble starting the car. Exchanging the battery for a new one definitely corrected the issue and now it is running like normal. I learned today that if you have the Auto Stop feature it would be very wise to have the battery tested regularly to prevent a very inconvenient, but unsettling problem that will inevitably occur. Thankfully it was a minor issue that was easily resolved and relatively inexpensive. I hope this information is helpful to someone out there.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,898 Posts
Welcome.

Note you also have 2 batteries in the 1st gen Auto Stop system. One under the hood and one in the trunk. I really think GM should have added battery replacement to the maintenance schedule. Most batteries even in cars without Auto Stop last three to five years. You get some that last longer, some that last less, but that's the average now. My personal advice is just to replace whatever battery or batteries you have at 4 years. It's too big of an inconvenience driving to the point of full failure.

I'm glad it got sorted out and thank you for sharing.

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,457 Posts
I just wanted to share some information on here that we discovered this morning. Please don’t poke fun at me if this has already been shared , but I could not find anything about my problem on the web today. I have a 2015 Malibu purchased certified pre owned in 2016. I love this car and I trust it to carry my family around everyday. We keep up with regular maintenance on this car and have never had any issues with it, until today. We started out with our normal routine, started the car and let it warm up for a few minutes before we left for work, drove about 5 miles to drop kid off at bus stop. When my husband shifted into reverse to leave, the car suddenly died and would not try to crank at all. No warning lights whatsoever. Even worse, the key was stuck in the ignition at the accessory position with the car shifted in park. Thankfully we were at a safe location to leave the car as it was for a short time. So fast forward past a few phone calls to automotive service companies which included a certified Chevy dealer, all of whom did not have any ideas to what the problem could be without having it towed in to run a diagnostic, if they could even get to it this week. Last call was to a local, independent mechanic and I described the situation to him. He did some troubleshooting over the phone, asked me several questions while he was researching the model online, determining that our model had the economical Auto Stop feature, and suggested that it sounded like the battery had gone bad. Evidently, this feature is designed to save on fuel but is hard on the battery. To my knowledge, it was still the original battery from the factory. It never occurred to me to have the battery tested since we had not had any trouble starting the car. Exchanging the battery for a new one definitely corrected the issue and now it is running like normal. I learned today that if you have the Auto Stop feature it would be very wise to have the battery tested regularly to prevent a very inconvenient, but unsettling problem that will inevitably occur. Thankfully it was a minor issue that was easily resolved and relatively inexpensive. I hope this information is helpful to someone out there.
I agree with and support the comments of @campb292.

You have nothing to fear about being denigrated, especially not for sharing something that could help others. That is the biggest reason this forum exists and is so good. You've just made it that much better!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.