Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Engine Light!

91K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Adaboy 
#1 ·
Driving home from work I noticed the "Check Engine Light" was on. Being that it was after service hours at the dealership I ran by autozone to have them scan the obd2 to see what was wrong. Well guys it looks like the EVAP purge solenoid is bad. I really hope this isn't the sign of things to come, two times to the service department in two weeks! ERRRR.......

#2 ·
Tell them you want a brand new Cadillac CTS and a cashier's cheque for $50,000 for your inconveniences :p

#5 ·
Ive had a few cars that would occasionally get codes for the emissions systems. Heres a tip, make sure you gas cap is on tight. Ive had to replace a couple gas caps over the years because they would wear out, not seal properly and it would throw the computer off thinking it was a problem somewhere else.

#6 ·
Loose Gas Cap will throw an Evap Code. There is a pressure sensor inside the tank. With the engine running the PCM looks for a range. When it falls below, Evap Leak code will set. Sorry, But I think the guys at AZ have very little clue. Just a bunch of parts sellers. I was an Auto tech for about 10 years. Still do "Sidework". I always found Amusing. Lean O2 reading Banks 1 and 2. They sell O2 Sensors. Could be a Vaccum Leak, Low Fuel pressure, MAF not reading correctly. And so forth. They sell the customer O2 Sensors. They get installed. Lights back on. Same codes. All for nothing. The Actron Code reader they use is just that. A Code Reader. Not an Actual Scan Tool that will interface with the PCM and show the Readings.

#7 ·
First, when my light came on the first thing i did was check the gas cap to see if it was tight. It was. Second, if the cap had been lose and i was able to tighten it, the computer would have reset the light after so many miles driven. Drove the car for about 50 miles - light still on. Could be bad cap seal or bad seal on to the filler tube mouth. (Code P0446) I know this could be several things in the system that could be bad. Anyway it's in the shop and will update when i get it back.

#8 ·
also depends on several things such as temperature, fuel level, etc.. the pcm will not run the evap diagnostic unless certain criteria have been met. usually around spring time its pretty bad, we call it EVAP season, because its always about this time that check engine lights appear and end up being evap codes.

even though a fuel cap can be tight, it may leak around the seal, or other areas. may be a fuel tank pressure sensor problem, or something different. depends on the code. sometimes it will throw a code for something, like evap vent performance, when in reality its something else acting upon it. evap system diagnostics can be a real bitch to fix sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.