Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was at a bank drive thru teller, and as i get ready to pull off, the engine just dies. it hadn't done that before. i crank it back up, and i got really low rpm, i was able to go into drive, and take off but only a few feet. the engine has 183k miles on it. its a 1998 chevy malibu 3.1 engine. i started the car again, and then i was able to get across the intersection this time. i stop in another bank parking lot. i tried starting the car again, but this time it wouldn't even turn over. so i look under the hood, and see that the starter ground cable was loose, the nut came off. i replaced it with the old nut from the used starter i still had in my trunk.so after doing that i crank up the car, and i was able to get it home, but barely, the rpm would drop below 1000, but didn't stall, I'd brake and pull over to the side of the road, then the rpm would return to normal, and I'd be able to take off, until it decided to go back down.i got it home. parked it, waited a few minutes then turned the car back on. it cranked fine. as it's idling, the car warms up, then begins to stall and right before it stalls the engine jerks for a few seconds. just so you know, the fuel pump is fine, it has new wires and plugs, and the coil pack works perfectly. i have had problems with the battery staying charged before. what could be the problem? i plan on cleaning the map and maf sensors and iac

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
i was at a bank drive thru teller, and as i get ready to pull off, the engine just dies.

i stop in another bank parking lot. i tried starting the car again, but this time it wouldn't even turn over.

what could be the problem?
Stay out of bank parking lots??? :confused: :D

I'm sure someone here with experience will help you.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Here is a thought.
Did you try cleaning the Idle Air Control Valve? Its held in with 2 T15 screws. This is a Common problem with many cars.

Another thought. The Engine Coolant Sensor could be reading wrong. The one for the PCM. Not the one for the gauge.

Escapemax

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gas cap loose? Diesel or watter in the fuel? Fuel filter and air filter clean? Any codes?

·
Registered
184 Posts
yeah you might need a new fuel filter or it could be poor quality fuel

·
Registered
493 Posts
Vacuum leak? Your post was a bit of a ramble, it seems you might have a few issues on your Malibu, I'd suggest charging up the battery with it disconnected from the car, check all the vacuum lines and if you find any that are cracked replace them. Check all the electrical connections under the hood as well, one loose connection can affect how the car runs.

·
Registered
184 Posts
"Have you recently changed brands of fuel?

If, so be sure to fuel your vehicle with quality fuel. Poor fuel quality will cause your engine not to run as efficiently as designed. You may notice this as stalling after start-up, stalling when you put the vehicle into gear, misfiring, hesitation on acceleration or stumbling on acceleration. (These conditions may go away once the engine is warmed up.)..."

Direct quote from the malibu owner's manual, page 3-31.

It could be a fuel problem or as glow said, leak, loose connection, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.