Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fenwick posted a thread on GM Insider about the EpII powertrain coming to the Malibu in 2010-2012. Can someone tell me the advantage to this powertrain? Everyone seems so excited about it and was just wondering. I would post this on GM Insider but afraid they will roast me for this quesiton deeming it being to "ignorant". :eek:

·
Registered
795 Posts
I would post this on GM Insider but afraid they will roast me for this quesiton deeming it being to "ignorant". :eek:
Not ignorant at all. I have not heard of EpII and would like to know what it is.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Fenwick posted a thread on GM Insider about the EpII powertrain coming to the Malibu in 2010-2012. Can someone tell me the advantage to this powertrain? Everyone seems so excited about it and was just wondering. I would post this on GM Insider but afraid they will roast me for this quesiton deeming it being to "ignorant". :eek:

I think they are refering to the Epsilon II platform/Chasis. The Malibu is current on the Epsilon I platform.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Epsilon_platform

·
Registered
512 Posts
Well, for what I know, EpII will finally get a navigation option. Basically just upgrades all around, maybe more fuel efficient, especially if they continue what they're doing with the Cruze by sticking small, turbocharged engines into cars to get awesome fuel economy.

And go ahead and ask! I've asked questions that I thought were dumb before and I've never gotten roasted for it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I think they are refering to the Epsilon II platform/Chasis. The Malibu is current on the Epsilon I platform.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Epsilon_platform
And yeah, it's referring to Epsilon II. Most of GM's platforms are transitioning over to the second generation. Delta-II arrives in 2010, Epsilon II apparently arrives in 2010 as well, Theta-II in 2010, and Theta-Epsilon in 2010.

Apparently 2010 is going to be pretty big for new product.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Will the platform affect the size of the car or are we basically just talking about upgrades inside? I was just wondering if it would be a huge diffence from the first and what advantages it brings.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Will the platform affect the size of the car or are we basically just talking about upgrades inside? I was just wondering if it would be a huge diffence from the first and what advantages it brings.
It may be a little bigger, but considering the fact that the Malibu was just redesigned for the 2008 model year, it may just feature powertrain and interior upgrades (6-speed automatic trannys, smaller turbocharged engines, navigation, integrated switchgear).

Here's info on EpII from GMI's Platform Guide.

The replacement platform for the current Epsilon platform is going to be the ultimate global platform for General Motors. It will be utilized for use around the world; in Europe, North America and possibly in other markets after the platform goes online. Epsilon II will likely be slightly larger than the current Epsilon, however it will be more versatile and be all-wheel drive capable. E-II will debut in 2009 on the Saab 9-5.

Things to know-

●There were rumors that E-II would be FWD/RWD/AWD capable. That has not been confirmed, however it is likely that they can tune the AWD to send more power to the rear wheels for more performance-oriented handling.

·
Registered
512 Posts
By the way, I just sent a PM to one of our admins over on GMI who handles a lot of the "inside" information we get about future products, so he may be able to shed some light on this new platform.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Okay, just got a PM back. Here's what we know so far...

The new Malibu will be on a LWB version of the EpII platform, which will end up a bit bigger than the current. It will be as wide as the current Impala.

The new Malibu will debut in 2010 for the 2011 model year. Production should begin in late 2010.

The Pontiac G6 will also move to the EpII platform, but unfortunately will apparently be a direct rebadge of the Malibu, basically just twin grilles and a red dart slapped on the front of a Malibu. Hopefully this will change as time progresses, but it appears that GM is at a loss as to what to do with the G6 as it was originally slated to move to the all-new Alpha RWD platform, but proved too costly for a sub-30k car. The Alpha will instead spawn a new Cadillac that will most likely slot beneath the CTS line.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gee Fenwick,yYou did some work there!! Thanks for the updated information. Any additional information is welcome. Not sure how I feel about the Malibu getting bigger but by that time the Cruz will be on the market and something else to consider also. I am all for RWD, love that aspect and even AWD would be welcome. I guess we will just have to wait and see. I do have to wonder if all this "in the future" especially 2011, info would hurt sales for people waiting for these upgrades. Oh well, at least it seems GM is trying to get it together but I am not a fan of the re-badge. Thanks again.

·
Registered
512 Posts
You're very welcome!

It's starting to look like the Cruze will not completely replace the Cobalt, but instead slot between the Cobalt and the Malibu. In fact, the Malibu might move upmarket somewhat, especially now that it will grow a bit with the new EpII platform.

And trust me, there will still be more than enough people who are completely oblivious to these changes and will still buy the '09 and '10 Malibu. Just like I was completely oblivious to the '08 Malibu when I bought my '07. Back then, I wasn't as involved with the auto industry, as is most Americans.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ooookay...so (I don't know how else to say this, so pardon my French) the **** has definitely hit the fan while I was at school.

Apparently the current Malibu will soldier on for a while, no word yet on whether or not the planned 2010 redesign has been canceled or is still on, but a recent article says that the Malibu will remain as is for a few more years, saying that updates have been canceled, so one can only assume that the 2010 redesign is dead in the water. The RWD Impala has been canceled, the current model will last until 2012, we have no idea what will happen to it after that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
And yeah, it's referring to Epsilon II. Most of GM's platforms are transitioning over to the second generation. Delta-II arrives in 2010, Epsilon II apparently arrives in 2010 as well, Theta-II in 2010, and Theta-Epsilon in 2010.

Apparently 2010 is going to be pretty big for new product.

I'm not marketing expert, but you would think it's better rolling out new product alittle at a time, instead blowing your load all at once?

Keep the excitment going over a long period of time

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not marketing expert, but you would think it's better rolling out new product alittle at a time, instead blowing your load all at once?

Let's hope you are right. I will be very angry if they stop marketing the car I currently own after 2010. Who knows with GM. Hopefully they are keeping things close to the vest unlike what they have done so far i.e. Cruze, Volt, etc.

Fenwick, are you saying the Impala will not have a re-design until after 2012 ?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Fenwick, are you saying the Impala will not have a re-design until after 2012 ?
That's correct. The Impala will remain on the W-body platform that has been in use since 1988. It was originally rumored to be redesigned on the RWD Zeta platform which underpins the Pontiac G8, Holden Commodore, and 2010 Camaro. As much as I like the current Impala, the fact that it's going to have such a long stretch as the current generation is a bit frustrating.

·
Registered
512 Posts

Not at this time. We need successful cars. Now.

You are right about the idea of "keeping the excitement going." Most likely GM will introduce different variants of all these cars. For example, the CTS which went into production in 2008 will spawn a Coupe as well as a Wagon in 2010, as well as a high performance V-series model for 2009.

·
Registered
10 Posts
With the Malibu new in 2008, keeping it until the 2011 model year makes sense as it represents a four year product cycle. And to be honest, the 2008 Malibu is not really new, just the end result of GM finishing the last 15% of the engineering and putting a sleek new body and interior on the 2004 to 2007 Malibu that I own two of and like a lot.

The Aura was to be new next year as a clone of the new Opel Insignia, but that has changed as well and it will soldier on at least two more years and not be a total clone of the Insignia.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.