Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Malibu lt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Lt 1.5T. Stupid stop has been disabled via hood latch plug. When car has sat 6-8+ hrs, idle speed fluctuates first couple 10+sec stops if not up to full temp. Stop, idle 800 drops to 500 for 5sec car surges/bucks, back up to 800, does 3-4 times. Or, stop after driven 60 for 1/2 mile, idle 500 drops to 300? and stays, can feel car surging against brakes. If I let off brake car lurches, stops, lurches. This continues at least 1min, runs fine otherwise. Dealer found no codes and could not duplicate. Can reconnect hood latch plug, car shuts off no idle problem. This issue is a minor inconvenience vs stupid stop. Had previous cars with IAC & MAFS issues, does not seem to match?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,376 Posts
You can also get the Trifecta tune that disables "stupid stop".

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Hood latch ''eliminators'' have known glitches. You get what you pay for with them.
Go with the Trifecta or a Range eliminator for killing the auto stop without having issues. I have both on 2 different vehicles.

·
Registered
2017 Malibu lt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not using any kind of " eliminater", just unplugged hood latch plug. Only downside is ch. Engine light stays on. My method of disabling stupid stop is not the issue, cold idle problem still happens when using ERS mode as cheat.

·
Administrator
18,376 Posts
What is "ERS mode"? I don't understand or it just isn't clicking for some reason.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,735 Posts
What is "ERS mode"? I don't understand or it just isn't clicking for some reason.
Electronic Range Select. It's the type of manual mode in gen9.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,735 Posts
Can reconnect hood latch plug, car shuts off no idle problem.
My method of disabling stupid stop is not the issue, cold idle problem still happens when using ERS mode as cheat.
I'm not following. In the first quote you say no idle problem when reconnecting the hood latch plug. In the second quote idle problem still happens in manual mode. I've got an idea but depends - how many miles?

·
Registered
2017 Malibu lt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Idle issue occurs mainly in drive after being stopped about 10sec, idle speed does fluctuate in park @ startup when below 40, sometimes. Let's clarify. With HLP unplugged in D, issue happens. With HLP reconnected in L +5 (ie full range ERS mode) issue happens. With HLP reconnected in D, car shuts off within 5sec b-4 Idle issue starts. As irritating this is, it's less irritating than autostop. At 35,180

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,735 Posts
With HLP reconnected in L +5 (ie full range ERS mode) issue happens.
L5? You only have 5 functioning gears? You have no L6?

That aside, my guess is the CEL being on disables some learned parameters. You reconnect, it still needs to learn. It's early for throttle body buildup but perhaps learned throttle parameters reset under the CEL to defaults. I'd plug in the hood latch sensor, wait 500 miles, then take it back to the dealer for proper diagnosis if the idle issue persists. I watch posts pretty closely under gen9 and I have seen nothing else like this but then again not many driving around with a voluntary CEL. Good luck though.

·
Registered
2017 Malibu lt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, 6 speed. Shift to L hit + button 5x to get full range( L6 on dic). Damn computers! CEL goes away after 2 starts, that long to relearn? I appreciate your suggestion.

·
Administrator
18,376 Posts
Thanks for explaining ERS. I had never heard it called that, but it makes perfect sense.

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Need a full code scan of all 4 code families first. After that we can start guessing if no codes are present.
With homebrewed work arounds anything is possible and is possible.
Full featured scan tool will clear codes immediately.
If you don't have a good scan tool do not play with the car, your playing with expensive fire.
Lack of a good scan tool = not being able to open the hood.

·
Registered
2017 Malibu lt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In response to campb292 and whoever changed discussion title, i drove in L6 mode for 3-4 mths b-4 ever unplugging and CEL being on. This issue preceded unplugging HLP and CEL. Repairman54; took to dealer 2mths ago, spent 10min describing problem to tech. He scanned, found no codes other than HLS being unplugged. He found no relating service bulletins, only software update for ECM. Said maybe software glitch, this might fix?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,735 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I never understood the problem with start/stop. When I had my 2017 1.5 LT I liked it. I sort of miss it in my 2018 Premier. I remember reading people doing crazy stuff like drilling through the firewall to add disable buttons then coming here complaining about leaks. Crazy stuff for something barely noticeable lol.

·
Registered
2017 Malibu lt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does your 2016 have AS? Cannot park and shift into P b-4 car shuts off and then immediately restarts. Pull forward to back into parking spot, shuts off b-4 shift into R. Than immediately restarts midshift. I could deal with rolling stops and applying just enough brake pressure to stop but not engage AS. Do not know your location, but I learned early that trying to rock yourself unstuck in snow does not work w/ AS.

·
Registered
2017 Malibu lt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jeff. I did enter here to argue the merits of AS. My new tires affect mileage more than AS being disabled. You must drive where it never snows. Cannot rock yourself unstuck w/ AS active, as bad as TC in snow. The majority of engine damage occurs at startup, how does that work when engine is constantly stopping & restarting.

·
Administrator
18,376 Posts
I will volunteer that the way that AS has been implemented, it is not done well, and this is from someone who has not had a chance to drive one with AS! I feel for anyone who has to go through the torture of the engine stopping, only to restart immediately when being put in P, only to turn it off to exit the vehicle.

Is there a better way to do it? I'll bet there is. Did they choose to do it? I'll bet they didn't. Was it tested in a large number of environments? I can't say, but it probably wasn't.

For some it's not an issue; for others it's a PITA. We do not need to try to convince others of how bad or good it is for them, when it's good or bad for us individually. What we need to do is help @10klakes with HIS issue and see if we can offer any good ideas. Heck, even bad ones just might cause him to think of something he hadn't thought of before.

·
Administrator
18,376 Posts
I think that maybe I haven't been clear, so let me clear things up a bit. It has come to may attention that it may seem that I've taken sides.

When you modify your car, such as in the case of the hood latch, just to find a work-around for an irritation, and it's recommended that the hood latch be restored and then a period of time and/or a number of miles needs to pass, then by all means, what is stopping you from following the suggestions given, especially when that's why you came here to start with?

Before firing a broadside and saying that there must be something wrong with the car, and insisting that your modification can't be the cause, stop and observe the facts.
  1. The CEL is on as a direct result of unplugging the hood latch.
  2. @repairman54 has shared that you got what you paid for, and that you need a full scan of all of the codes.
  3. @campb292 has suggested that you restore the car to stock by plugging the hood latch back in, and that you drive about 500 miles before getting a proper diagnosis.
  4. I used "stupid stop" (including the quotation marks) as a term to quote your terminology, but apparently the sarcasm was lost on everyone.
  5. To some degree I even showed that I understand the really poor programming of AS.
The car has issues that need to be fixed. Disabling parts of the car, especially when they cause a CEL/MIL, is not a good work-around. That has already been said by 2 members whom I respect more than my own input, which is why my comments in this thread have been sparse.

So, before wasting any more time of those who have taken the effort to try to help you, take some positive steps toward actually correcting the issue.
  1. Restore the connection to the hood latch.
  2. Drive about 500 miles.
  3. Get a proper diagnosis at a shop that you feel you can trust, whether it's a dealer or an independent.
  4. Act on their recommendations.
If you choose to share your woes any further, share the DTCs that surely must be there since the CEL is illuminated without going out.
... snip ... ch. Engine light stays on. ... snip ...
It might also be time to admit that your actions are partly to blame for the issue.
... snip ... My method of disabling stupid stop is not the issue ... snip ...
Bring proof of your claims to the table. You say that disabling AS with a modification that turns on the CEL is not the cause. We need some facts to back up your claim because it doesn't hold water with us.

Just because you had idle issues before you unplugged the hood latch doesn't mean that you didn't make them worse or make it impossible for the computers to overcome them as a result of your actions.

A truly logical person will seek the truth rather than try to elicit pats on the back for coming up with a name like "stupid stop", even if that's what some feel it acts like.

Your issue is not with AS, it's with the engine's performance. But your actions could easily have made it worse, so it's time to put it all back together and start looking for the real cause. All you've done is cloud the issue with an ill-conceived hack.

·
Registered
2017 Malibu lt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you. In post #17 I accidentally omitted a "not" between did & enter. Apparently some people have no issue w/ AS, good for them. Did I have a idle problem b-4 I unplugged, yes. Have I made it worse by unplugging and having constant CEL, maybe/probably. I have no doubts that all who have responded are far car smarter than I. Do I want to reconnect and do the L6 thing for 500m, not really. But I will take advice and try. If problem clears up, good. If not, do I have any confidence in a dealership that says " if it does not happen for us and no codes show, what can we Do?" Seems most do not approve of my "free" method of defeating AS, Could not find "trifecta deleter" on website for my model/year. I would like to think I listen to the advice of those more knowledgeable than I, which is why I dropped the idea of a headbolt heater in buying negotiations. That person's knowledge does not ease my mind when it's -20 out and I worry if car will start. Such is life, right

1 - 20 of 21 Posts