Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Chevy Malibu LS. I was hearing noises from my exhaust system (I could hear the puttering of the engine), and took a peek under car and saw that it looked like my exhaust gasket needed to be replaced (between the resonator and muffler). I took a wrench to loosen the nut, and it turns out the stud/nut was completely corroded, and snapped off with the lightest turn of a wrench (which is why the exhaust gasket was making noise, since the stud was shot). I looked to see what stud to use, and found on one parts site what they proposed to use an M10 x 1.5 stud set. The original stud was M8 it appears (it is a 13mm nut, so that means it was an MCool. The new studs are 62mm long, which seems too long (I haven't taken the whole thing apart yet, so I can't tell yet). I have no problem tapping it, and putting an M10 in will be better since the M8 is all rusted, but I'm think the new stud is way too long, and can't find any specifications for it. Does anyone have the specs for them? Or should I just drill through and put in a stainless bolt/nut? Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I actually have the same problem with my 03 Malibu, though I haven't messed with it yet for fear of not being able to afford replacing the parts xD

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mostly? Money. I used to have plenty, then I bought the Malibu. The payments are keeping me pretty thin on my spending. If the car were to get paid for [possible in the semi-near future] then I'd have a LOT more financial freedom. But either way, we'll see how it goes :)

A friend from FL came to visit and dropped off a "3A Racing" muffler. here's hoping it won't sound like a typical fart can.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Mostly? Money. I used to have plenty, then I bought the Malibu. The payments are keeping me pretty thin on my spending. If the car were to get paid for [possible in the semi-near future] then I'd have a LOT more financial freedom. But either way, we'll see how it goes :)

A friend from FL came to visit and dropped off a "3A Racing" muffler. here's hoping it won't sound like a typical fart can.
please no. lol sell that muffler now

·
Registered
90 Posts
please no. lol sell that muffler now
LOL, I know, I had that feeling too. It's what...pepboys special? It was previously installed on a Galant VR-4 Turbo. I can only imagine how horrid that was....but then for the most part, I'm not that fond of the sounds of an open exhaust on a 4 anyway.

I believe this is the same muffler...

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/3A-Racing-63-0513-Muffler-Universal/dp/B00029J0VY/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1242212078&sr=8-10[/ame]

But I was originally tempted to buy this just for the name xD

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002M9PB6/ref=s9_wish_gw_t2?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1ONCTVX21OXQG&colid=5E0AXC6NWFSA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0TZ061WR2VAPEP1X4Y74&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846[/ame]

Yeah, I'm warped, I know :p

·
Registered
307 Posts
I run a summit muffler and a glass pack for a res on my cavy. sounds good at idle WOT is still needs some work. maybe after the muffler breaks in

·
Registered
90 Posts
I run a summit muffler and a glass pack for a res on my cavy. sounds good at idle WOT is still needs some work. maybe after the muffler breaks in
I've been considering Cherry Bombs / glass packs for both cars, but for the Cav I've been leaning towards a GMPP cat back if I can ever find / afford one.

Oh man, someone offered me a 2nd gen Z24 Convertible with a 45k mile 2.8L V6 for $1600. It's already on 18" rims and has a full receipt history as well. I told him, he would have to pick a time when I'm broke to offer me a sweet little car like that...Oh he said he was throwing in the stock Z wheels too and the tires on them are at about 70% tread too! I'm going to talk to Mom and Dad tonight and see if I can't get a loan ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Malibu isn't a drop top D: What I really want is getting harder and harder to come by anyway... 1981 Malibu 4dr. Like my old one that was sold out from under me by my parents.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Your talking about the exhaust joint just before the muffler? if so just run down to an exhaust shop and have them cut it out and just weld in a piece of pipe. I'm waiting on a Cat Back exhaust to be finished for mine then I'm removing the Cherry Bomb Vortex muffler from mine and selling it to another Malibu owner.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Your talking about the exhaust joint just before the muffler? if so just run down to an exhaust shop and have them cut it out and just weld in a piece of pipe. I'm waiting on a Cat Back exhaust to be finished for mine then I'm removing the Cherry Bomb Vortex muffler from mine and selling it to another Malibu owner.
Got an audio of that?

·
Registered
493 Posts
This is the closest audio I have on how mine sounds, it's when I had the car dyno'd at NOPI so I could have a baseline on what I'm putting to the ground. It might be hard during part of it due to the noise coming from the drifting going on a short distance away.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What I could hear sounded good and throaty. Though I prefer a deeper tone, it doesn't sound all that different than my 81 Malibu [3.8L V6 2bbl]

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think in all actually this was before I installed the Cherry Bomb Vortex and all I really had was straight pipe in place of the muffler, and you also heard the sounds from the CAI I've got.
My 81 Malibu was a shorty exhaust. Stock Headers > Y-pipe > 2.25" Flowmaster with a turn out. It was pretty loud, no doubt about it ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.