Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it sounds like on my 09 Malibu LT. 2.0 4 cylinder that I have a leak in my resonator. I was thinking about straight piping for a better sound. That’d include a muffler delete. Thoughts on this? Would it be ridiculously obnoxious with a terrible rumble or would it be totally different than that? Thanks

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,849 Posts
Everyone has different tastes. For me, it'd be too noisy inside the car.

I have the V6, so it's a bit different. Some years back I had a muffler shop do the exact opposite of what I requested and then tried to fix their screw-up their way. It didn't work. It kept the resonator, but removed the muffler in favor of a pair of nearly straight-thru mufflers, and then he added a glasspack between the resonator and mufflers. Driving that was almost unbearable!

You're talking about removing the resonator and the muffler. It'll just sound like a loud 4-banger, and you may not even need a fart can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everyone has different tastes. For me, it'd be too noisy inside the car.

I have the V6, so it's a bit different. Some years back I had a muffler shop do the exact opposite of what I requested and then tried to fix their screw-up their way. It didn't work. It kept the resonator, but removed the muffler in favor of a pair of nearly straight-thru mufflers, and then he added a glasspack between the resonator and mufflers. Driving that was almost unbearable!

You're talking about removing the resonator and the muffler. It'll just sound like a loud 4-banger, and you may not even need a fart can.
so you think I shouldn’t do it? I’m just trynna make it louder but I don’t want to have a ridiculous droning sound ya know?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,849 Posts
The resonator is what does most of the work to reduce the droning inside the cab. For me personally, without it, my ears would bleed.

The best sound I ever had was on my first Gen7 with 3.6L V6. Check my signature for "muffler mod on '09" for some pics and a discussion that might help.

My personal taste is along the lines of a sleeper, not a shouter. Anyone can shout, but the fellas who quietly get the job done are the ones I respect more. My first experience was a 1960-something muscle car that whizzed by me in town one day and I almost never heard it. I was impressed. Understatement impresses the right folks. And even if it doesn't, it's what I like, so that's the direction I tend to go.

My suggestion: Keep, repair, or replace the resonator, and if you want better performance, pull that boat anchor that they call a muffler off and put something on that flows way better, and that has a nice, mellow sound. Your ears will thank you now, and years later as well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I’ve never heard of those. What exactly is that?

It's a bypass that is remote controlled. You can mount it wherever you want in the exhaust system. If you want to run a straight pipe before the resonator you can dump the exhaust with the click of a button before the resonator. If you want to dump the exhaust before the muffler but after the resonator then mount it there. Then if you don't want it loud you just click the button and it closes the valves to let the exhaust run through the full system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
View attachment 69040

It's a bypass that is remote controlled. You can mount it wherever you want in the exhaust system. If you want to run a straight pipe before the resonator you can dump the exhaust with the click of a button before the resonator. If you want to dump the exhaust before the muffler but after the resonator then mount it there. Then if you don't want it loud you just click the button and it closes the valves to let the exhaust run through the full system.
That’s actually pretty dope how much are they usually? I gotta dump the resonator cause it’s got a leak in the bottom of it. I’ll honestly probably just straight pipe cause it’s cheap😂

·
Registered
98 Posts
That’s actually pretty dope how much are they usually? I gotta dump the resonator cause it’s got a leak in the bottom of it. I’ll honestly probably just straight pipe cause it’s cheap😂
That one pictured is $110 on ebay. Just gotta make sure you get the right size. I believe our exhaust has a few different sizes at a few different points. Like between the secondary cat and resonator is 2.5", but after resonator but before the muffler is like 2.25"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts