Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't read about anyone up grading their exhaust systems. Anyone know if the V6 is a true dual exhaust or is it just split? I'm kind of wondering what a flowmaster would sound like? Might be a bit much for a sedan? Thoughts?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flowmaster would rock!!!

Not too much for a sedan either - Want to see some crazy "sedans" check out some of the Grand Prix forums that exist (www.clubgp.com or www.oqcgp.com)

Cheers!
I was hoping I wasn't being dumb with the idea. They certainly look sporty enough for the flowmaster. I've only had this car 2.5 days and I'm ready to do some modding, no way my wife is going to turn me loose with the check book at least not until I get the tags on it :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good Luck with the cheque book! You need to enjoy it before you start modding that way you enjoyment will last longer.
True, true. It'll be a bit before I do much but browsing around here makes me want to get out the screw driver :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
I haven't read about anyone up grading their exhaust systems. Anyone know if the V6 is a true dual exhaust or is it just split? I'm kind of wondering what a flowmaster would sound like? Might be a bit much for a sedan? Thoughts?
Not a true dual.......2 into 1, then a catalytic converter, then one pipe into a 38" longintudinal cylindrical muffler, with one curved pipe, about 4 feet long coming out, which goes into ANOTHER muffler, placed width wise from wheel to wheel, with two exhaust pipes (duals) coming out of each end. WHEW!!! tALK ABOUT RESTRICTIVE!!

At a MINIMUM,I think the last muffler needs to go "bye-bye" and a K&N air filter (part number 33-2296 ($46.95) needs to be installed.

With more air available, with less restrictive air flow and a slightly modifed exhaust, I believe one should get an additional 20 - 25 horsepower.

However, the air intake noise would be a bit louder, AND the exhaust note would be louder. I would welcome a healthy exhaust note, but we would not know what it would sound like until we do it................and then if we don't like it, we are stuck with whatever sound come out............:(

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Not a true dual.......2 into 1, then a catalytic converter, then one pipe into a 38" longintudinal cylindrical muffler, with one curved pipe, about 4 feet long coming out, which goes into ANOTHER muffler, placed width wise from wheel to wheel, with two exhaust pipes (duals) coming out of each end. WHEW!!! tALK ABOUT RESTRICTIVE!!

At a MINIMUM,I think the last muffler needs to go "bye-bye" and a K&N air filter (part number 33-2296 ($46.95) needs to be installed.

With more air available, with less restrictive air flow and a slightly modifed exhaust, I believe one should get an additional 20 - 25 horsepower.

However, the air intake noise would be a bit louder, AND the exhaust note would be louder. I would welcome a healthy exhaust note, but we would not know what it would sound like until we do it................and then if we don't like it, we are stuck with whatever sound come out............:(
I was thinking the same thing 2 muffs??? why:confused:
http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No matter what it sounds like a risky adventure and maybe costly. This thought may go on the back burner for a bit........now where was that thread about after market navigation units :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
No matter what it sounds like a risky adventure and maybe costly. This thought may go on the back burner for a bit........now where was that thread about after market navigation units :)

Understanding their are modules you can purchase to keep the factory controls, but wouldn't you also lose so much?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Heres a Crazy thought. Remember the 90's Camaros/Firebirds. They had a muffler setup about the same way. New pipe from behind the Catalytic Converter. Use one of those mufflers. A good muffler shop could make bend pipes so that Tips would fit. Not sure if the Hangers would work.
Escapemax

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well just finished installing the factory V6 exhausts to my 4 cylinder. It looks great now, but what a pain. I thought it was going to be a direct swap, but the 4 has a cat in the line and the V6 does not. Perfect if you want to run cat less, but I wanted no codes.....so I cut the stock exhaust off right beneath the back doors and then cut the V6 muffler and pipe at the same place and hooked them together. In theory, it should have worked....it didn't. The driver's side pipe was sticking out further than than the pass. side. A trip to a muffler shop fixed that, they heated the pipe behind the muffler and bent that around and then cut off the shorter tip and made it longer. Looks factory now with the dual valence and all. I put photos up on a kodak site, if anyone wants to look at the 2 pipes off the car and how the car looks now, send me a email to [email protected]. Looks great, but what a pain!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.