Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. I am looking for some pictures of everyone's aftermarket exhaust setups. I specifically want pictures from underneath, or under the rear to see piping and muffler placement. 3.6l preferably as thats what i have but if the exhausts are close to the same on the 3.5 then it should work..

Anyone done an X pipe to true duals? Is there even room?

What is the factory pipe diameter?

My plan right now is axle back, y-pipe, 2.5" to dual thrush mufflers out of 4" Tips..

TIA

·
Administrator
16,982 Posts
Here's what I did to my '09 3.6 at a shop. Yanked the stocker off, installed Y-pipe, 2 resonators, 2 45-elbows, and stock tips. In the process we were able to correct the left side being lower than the right. Both resonators were installed the same direction with the "A" end as the inlet.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Mine looks the same, except it is just straight pipe, no extra mufflers or resonators.
I have a video of it.

·
CMF Honorary Member
4,732 Posts
Be VERY careful what you do. I have yet to hear a 2.4 or 3.6 that sounded good to me with aftermarket exhaust. They seem to usually sound like a tractor, unrefined, and not clear at all. Plus you will gain next to nothing power wise no matter what anybody tells you. Sound is all an opinion, but I just don't think they sound good....plus a Malibu isn't really a car that lends itself to loud exhaust. I heard a 3.6 with a flowmaster the other day, awful! Only cat-back that didn't sound bad was a Magnaflow. All IMO of course....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here's what I did to my '09 3.6 at a shop. Yanked the stocker off, installed Y-pipe, 2 resonators, 2 45-elbows, and stock tips. In the process we were able to correct the left side being lower than the right. Both resonators were installed the same direction with the "A" end as the inlet.
Interesting welds.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys very much for the pictures.. I have been youtube'n camaro 3.6l's with exhaust and personally I think they sound pretty descent. I have noticed a sound difference depending on were the mufflers are mounted. With a single muffler there is more of a raspy sound with a popping when revs come down. But less popping and less raspy running two mufflers closer to the tips. From what I can tell other then transverse mounting the camaro and malibu 3.6l's are the same?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flowmaster, Camaro 3.6l 13hp and 20ft lbs gain. Not expecting that much on a malibu since it is a single pipe/muffler system. But personally think it sounds good and smooth all the way through the revs...

·
Super Moderator
1,216 Posts
Be VERY careful what you do. I have yet to hear a 2.4 or 3.6 that sounded good to me with aftermarket exhaust. They seem to usually sound like a tractor, unrefined, and not clear at all. Plus you will gain next to nothing power wise no matter what anybody tells you. Sound is all an opinion, but I just don't think they sound good....plus a Malibu isn't really a car that lends itself to loud exhaust. I heard a 3.6 with a flowmaster the other day, awful! Only cat-back that didn't sound bad was a Magnaflow. All IMO of course....

Like this?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Looks like your welder could use some practice

·
Administrator
16,982 Posts
Welding was admittedly rough, but since it was tucked up under I tried to put it out of my mind.

When I do my '11 I'm going to use clamps to set it all up and then take it to a muffler shop to weld.

·
CMF Honorary Member
4,732 Posts
Thank you guys very much for the pictures.. I have been youtube'n camaro 3.6l's with exhaust and personally I think they sound pretty descent. I have noticed a sound difference depending on were the mufflers are mounted. With a single muffler there is more of a raspy sound with a popping when revs come down. But less popping and less raspy running two mufflers closer to the tips. From what I can tell other then transverse mounting the camaro and malibu 3.6l's are the same?
The Camaros exhaust is totally different then a Malibus. It will sound better, but IMO it still doesn't sound good. Guess I am to used to V8's.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I personally wouldn't touch the exhaust on this car. It's a family car, not a boy-racer.

·
Super Moderator
1,216 Posts
I personally wouldn't touch the exhaust on this car. It's a family car, not a boy-racer.

I agree to an extent. I personally think the stock exhaust note sounds pretty good, and you wouldn't want to mess up the Malibu's low end. On the other hand, the video I posted of an Aura sounded pretty good too.

·
Administrator
16,982 Posts
Just a note from my experience with my '09. It had plenty of low end, and the tones in the 2000-3000 rpm range were not an issue on the highway since I cruised way below that. Only heard 'em when I was getting on it. I also believe that it got me more mpg, but I'll know that better once I get my '11 done and drive it some.

·
Super Moderator
4,522 Posts
Where's JeffreyRosskopf? He's got a tasteful exhaust upgrade where they swapped the stock splitter for dual flowmasters. Looks great with the mufflers right behind the rear valance cutouts and doesn't sound like a ricer, no offense to users who like that kind of exhaust note.

This is his video from his Malibu showoff thread:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks a lot cp. Thats exactly what I am looking at doing. Just wish I could get pictures from someone with a like setup from underneath. Im planning on doing this myself so i want to have everything ready before I tackle it.

And from what others have said yes I know this is a malibu/family sedan and personally I wouldn't do this if mine was stock. But it is not stock and with the sporty feel and look I would like it to sound sporty aswell. Plus 1 pony or 10 every pony counts.. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Where's JeffreyRosskopf? He's got a tasteful exhaust upgrade where they swapped the stock splitter for dual flowmasters. Looks great with the mufflers right behind the rear valance cutouts and doesn't sound like a ricer, no offense to users who like that kind of exhaust note.

This is his video from his Malibu showoff thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdgaAhWkF_A&feature=player_embedded
ha im glad you like my exhaust i have some pictures from underneath if you need them

1 - 20 of 36 Posts