Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2009 Malibu LT1 (4 cyl, 6 spd) today. While purchasing, I was offered an extended warranty for 7 years/100,000 miles for $1699 or 5 years/100,000 miles for $1000. I decided to hold off and see what everyone on this forum had to say. Have any of you purchased an extended warranty and if so, how much did you pay?

Thanks!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I was offered similar warranty and decided not to do it. I believe most of new model cars can run beyond 100K without any major issue if they are maintained based on mfr suggestions. I've seen this 100K statistics very frequent on the Internet; that is probably a reason why Huyndai and most of Insurance company use this 100K water mark for their warranties.
I have a civic 96 and it has run flawlessly til now with 170K on it. I bought $800 warranty for it and did not use a dime on it. This is my first Chevy car. I give it a try, hoping that it will hold up to these HOnda competitors.
If you still want to do the insurance, I suggest you get a copy a policy and read it carefully first. You might be surprised to find many limitations in there such as big deductibles, qualified shops, ...

·
Registered
112 Posts
you can shop for the waranty on the net if you like there is a dealer in state ocllege pa that sells them for a discount. but i would not buy one

·
Registered
493 Posts
Just another way the dealer can make a profit! Not really neccesary to buy the extended warranty, you have to watch for some of these extras they'd like to push to you, there are limitations that can have you really upset and paying for repairs you thought were covered.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input everyone... you along with everyone I talked to at work told me to skip the extended warranty, consider it done.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I bought the extended warranty once on a used Civic (they also offered lower financing rate with it, that was part of the reason for me to buy it). Only managed to use a small portion of what I paid.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Our dealer seriously tried to push a $2100 extended warranty on me that would of gave me a .25% better APR but would of added a total of around $2700 on the total loan. He kept trying to tell me that its only ~$30 or so extra a month blah, blah, blah. I denied it and he printed up the buyers order 3 times with the warranty in it!!! It pissed me off and I just left the dealer and told the manager to figure this crap out before I come back. Came back and talked to a different guy and finally got the order printed up without it.

They just wanted that $2100 profit really badly but I could care less.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Anytime that a car sales person has asked me if I wanted the extended warranty, I just say "is the car REALLY that bad!!! If it need the extended warranty, maybe I should buy a different car, like maybe your competitions". When I've said something like that, they usually don't know what to say.

As bballr4567 said, they really push that extended warranty thing, I never have gone for it in the past, and can't see me buying it in the future.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What about the GM Protection plan VS. Extended warranty?

·
Registered
573 Posts
My dealership basically played off the GM Protection plan as the EXACT same thing as the extended warranty.

I might have to switch dealerships sometime soon because they keep screwing up the paperwork. I just had the bank call me right after I posted that and asked me the amount I wanted to finance AGAIN for the 4th time because the dealership keeps sending them the wrong amount for the check.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Warranty on what? Bumper to bumper or power train? It comes with a good PT warranty anyway. If you could get a cheap B2B it might be worth it, but then again you'd probably be better off putting half that amount into a CD and renewing it every year for 3-4 yrs then putting it into a savings account for when/if you ever need it for the car.

·
Registered
472 Posts
On 21st century cars the problems are not with the powertrains. The problems usually occur in the electronic subsystems such as ABS, ride control, etc. If you notice most every manufacturer gives a nice long warranty on the powertrain but do not cover the more likely repairs. Depending on what goes wrong getting an ABS/Stability Control/Traction Control problem fixed can be in the range of $3000 for one repair. Most of the cost is for the parts.

When I bought my 97 Vette in 1997 I found it had 14 computers in it. That was 12 years ago and was cutting edge at the time. There were computers for the doors, mirrors, instrument panel, seats, etc. Now that technology has filtered down to the run of the mill cars. I am not saying that anybody should buy a Service Contract (they are not extended warranties they are service contracts) but when making your decision you should consider all of the repairs and not the least likely ones. Of all the plans I have used the General Motors Protection Plan is among the best. If you are going to a Service Contract for any car it should be the one provided by that manufacturer. It will always be better than the generic competitors.

For good rates on the GMPP call this dealership in Montana:
Call Dennis at: 800-234-5284

Email Dennis at: [email protected]

They sell the GMPP at $50 above dealer cost for any GM vehicle and Montana does not charge sales tax. I have purchased two plans from them and have refered other people to them as well. There is another dealer who also sells at a low price but I cannot find his name at this time.

With GMPP you have to go to a Chevy dealer to get your Malibu fixed because the plan only works at GM dealers. However, there are a lot of things that can go wrong on modern cars that the local non-dealer repair shop cannot fix due to lack of diagnostic tools, training and parts availability. The vast majority of the codes on new cars cannot be read by the OBDII scanner you buy at the auto parts store. To get one that reads all the codes you need to spend several thousand dollars each to buy the necessary scan tools to support each manufacturer.

Bill

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I just bought a GMPP for my 09 Malibu 1LT from Black Pontiac Cadillac out of Ebensburg, Pa. 4 years 100,000 miles for $974.00 all said and done. It was the best price I could find for a GMPP. I looked into a few other options and I think the GMPP is the way to go, it is very comprehensive and seems to be to pretty much be the same as the factory bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
307 Posts
we bought an extended warranty...carries us past 100k bumper to bumper. had the same thing on our old truck helped when the radio went out...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I suppose if you are they type that cannot kep money in the bank for repairs but could afford that extra few bucks a month then go for it. We never buy the warranty, because like a pp said most cars wont need it until the warrant is up anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.