Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With various models that are built in more than one plant, such as the Malibu coming out of both Fairfax, Kansas and Lake Orion, Michigan, generally all should be "equal" but it can be interesting to compare via owner's of each.

Often Accord and Camry buyers talk about their cars as either being US or Japan made, and which is "better", so why not here too.

Both Fairfax and Orion seem to be equals, but still may be a good topic. After 2 months of a G6 from Orion that was a living and breathing disaster--it actually seems assembled well, and really strong on fit & finish except for horrible and un-fixable roof noises--now that it's being repurchased by GM and I'm Malibu shopping, I had to ask.

Our current '08 is a Fairfax car and is tight as a drum, only marred by some slightly irregular dash piece gaps up close and misaligned dash to door panel flow--the latter being something that varied a lot on the Aura originally, and I see to various degrees on different Malibu's as well.

Where to find such information:
1) Window sticker
2) Vin number: the 11th vin digits are:
Fairfax: "F"
Orion: "4"
3) Sticker in driver's door jamb

So...what plant is your Malibu from and any niggles or thoughts?

·
Registered
66 Posts
If the 10th VIN digit is the indication, my car was built at Orion, however to my understanding before this, it was built at Fairfax.

???

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the 10th VIN digit is the indication, my car was built at Orion, however to my understanding before this, it was built at Fairfax.

???
Well, then, very simple...do you have an "F" in the vin anywhere? If not, you're Orion. What did the window sticker say, or how did you think otherwise before?

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
my 10th digit of the vin is 8.....

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my 10th digit of the vin is 8.....
I just edited my post...the number varies, I think, to mean Orion. But as long as there's no "F", you're not a Fairfax car.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I just edited my post...the number varies, I think, to mean Orion. But as long as there's no "F", you're not a Fairfax car.
There is also a sticker on the driver's door.
This will be a good thread.
Why don't we all put our plant and build date in our signature?
When someone reports a problem we will see which plant built it.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is also a sticker on the driver's door.
This will be a good thread.
Why don't we all put our plant and build date in our signature?
When someone reports a problem we will see which plant built it.
YES! Terrific idea, and it will be great informal data to build.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Would the 10th digit not mean the year like 8=2008 9=2009 ?

I had a few VIN numbers from Aura' & Malibu's, but the Aura 10th digit were all 8. They for sure were built in Faifax.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
2) Vin number: the 10th vin digits are:
Orion: a number
So...what plant is your Malibu from and any niggles or thoughts?
I don't think this is correct - my 11th digit is F and 10th is 8 and there's a Faifrax sticker.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't think this is correct - my 11th digit is F and 10th is 8 and there's a Faifrax sticker.
My VIN is similar to Yury's. "8" is the 10th digit, and "F" is the 11th digit.

My window sticker states "final assembly" in Kansas City, KS. There is also a round sticker on the rear of the drivers door that shows 'assembly' in Fairfax (which must be close to Kansas City).

BTW, I've had zero problems with my Malibu (almost 12,000 miles). (The right light on the passenger sun visor has burned out. So minor a problem it doesn't even count as a problem.)

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Correct, I am really having troubles today:rolleyes:

I edited the post again, NOW it's correct.

The 11th digit of the vin is the one, sorry again. To repeat:

Where to find such information:
1) Window sticker
2) Vin number: the 11th vin digits are:
Orion: "4"
3) Sticker in driver's door jamb

NOW, let's commence...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yup

That would be right, 11th digit F=Fairfax. Would 11th digit in 2009 Malibu for Lake Orion be all a 4 value ? Got 3 2009 VIN's I am looking at and 11th digit = 4. Previously was looking at some 2008 Aura's and all those 11th digit = F.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Could we say Fairfax are better that Orion ? Or would all vehicules be about equal. One thing I had notice is the interior trim around the shifter seem's to be installed almost always right with Orion built Malibu's cause a notice this vs the one's for Fairfax were the trim was not sitting right.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I think I read somewhere that Fairfax's Malibus were better than Orion's...I don't know, I may have imagined that.

My '07 was built at Fairfax.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mine is an Orion, Sticker on the door jam says so....

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yup

That would be right, 11th digit F=Fairfax. Would 11th digit in 2009 Malibu for Lake Orion be all a 4 value ? Got 3 2009 VIN's I am looking at and 11th digit = 4. Previously was looking at some 2008 Aura's and all those 11th digit = F.
ALL Aura's are built in Fairfax, but it seems the Malibu is now roughly a 50/50 split between there and Orion...possibly with an edge to Fairfax, but I've not seen any numbers.

Could we say Fairfax are better that Orion ? Or would all vehicules be about equal. One thing I had notice is the interior trim around the shifter seem's to be installed almost always right with Orion built Malibu's cause a notice this vs the one's for Fairfax were the trim was not sitting right.
Good question, but I don't think we can definitively say much yet. Like I said, our Fairfax 12/07 car is drum tight but has some alignment problems inside that are more visual than anything else. And then, albeit different, my '08 G6 from Orion with great visual finish but problems galore--I don't blame any or much of it, really, on the plant, though. I'm always looking through pictures on Ebay, Autotrader, etc. and have been trying to compare what can be seen between Fairfax & Orion cars, but it's hard to tell that way.

Hence, these individual owner reports of where and "what's it been like?". Should really be good.

Most of the Malibu's I'm now considering are again Orion cars, too, so further curiosity, especially if I end up with one of each in the driveway.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My GTP was built in Fairfax. It hasn't had any build quality issues at all. Seems like it was VERY well made. Only complaints are the height of the sweeping roofline (I'm 6'4" and this thing's short) and a few minor rattles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
10th digit is the model year 9=2009
11th digit is the plant F=Fairfax, 4=Orion
Per the official decoder tool!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.