Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else out there have a prob with there fan settings? I have an 03 and the blower only seems to work on 4 and 5. Not really sure whats going on there but its been like this since i got the car. No sure if its a fuse or something or i have to take apart the whole dashboard.

·
Registered
573 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
In the 3 years I had my 01 GrandAm I lost count of the number of times I had to fix that, it was also a constant problem on my 2000 Impala and My moms 99 Grand Prix GTP

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
What bballr said. I have replaced so many of those that I lost count, and some of them are a real b**ch.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Try not to compare the components of one car to another. You'd be very suprised how different they can be. For example. A 2003 Jetta has about 3 different 1.8T engines and about 4 different 2.0L engines. All have different components and some are completely setup differently. So if you were working on the assumption that they were all the same for that year, you would be very disappointed when you found out the 150 dollar part you bought off of ebay doesn't work for your engine.

The issue is the blower motor resistor is shot. It's an extremely common problem with the older malibu's. Here is my thread on how to fix it.

http://chevroletforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22666

·
Registered
573 Posts
Try not to compare the components of one car to another. You'd be very suprised how different they can be. For example. A 2003 Jetta has about 3 different 1.8T engines and about 4 different 2.0L engines. All have different components and some are completely setup differently. So if you were working on the assumption that they were all the same for that year, you would be very disappointed when you found out the 150 dollar part you bought off of ebay doesn't work for your engine.

The issue is the blower motor resistor is shot. It's an extremely common problem with the older malibu's. Here is my thread on how to fix it.

http://chevroletforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22666
Huh?? :confused: You posted the exact same fix.

All of the Nbody cars had this problem.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Huh?? :confused: You posted the exact same fix.

All of the Nbody cars had this problem.
Exactly, though I guess they had a different engine in the Malibu. I had to replace this on the grand am and my wifes alero. If this is in the same spot it's in the center of the dash and a major PITA to get to. The problem was the older vehicles didn't have a coating on the resistor so moisture coroded them and shorted it out. the new one is coated and shouldn't cause any problems.

Here's a thread about the resitor on the grand am site. http://grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1346&highlight=blower+resistor

Edit: This is for the 1-2 setting. I can't remember if the 3-4 setting is on the same resistor or not. I'll have to search when I get home and see if there was something else for the rest of the settings. I know it's come up before, but it's been forever since I've read up on it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Through some more searching it appears that, at least on the Grand Am/Alero, 1-4 are on the same circuit. So, I would say give this a shot first. The part is around $20 from Autozone or the likes. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.