Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 Hybrid gave up at 131k miles. For the last few thousand miles my fuel economy had been sinking from an average of 39 to 30. I took it in back in October but they found nothing wrong. Last week I got a dash of lights and pulled codes P0C36 and P0AA6. Towed it in and was told the hv battery failed. Dealer said my city driving is hard on the battery and causes a lot of discharge charge cycles. Cost of replacement is $3600 plus $1000 to program and install it. I may have considered it but its on backorder and they have 2 other customers waiting with no eta. I can't be without car so traded it in for what little they would give. I know the hv battery is smaller in this car but I see another post on here saying theirs died at 120k. I guess I did better than that slightly. Good smooth driving car but a bit less life than I hoped for.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,481 Posts
That's really unfortunate. 130,000 miles is not enough life out of a hybrid powertrain. I thought it would be a more stout hybrid model because it's based on the proven Volt technology. That repair cost is pretty hard to swallow when it's probably half the value of the car.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,378 Posts
That's some bad luck. I know there are a couple other MH owners on here that saw some short life but I think one was battery the other was the voltec transaxle. I do believe I have read several driving patterns aren't optimal for battery life. That and the battery in the MH is smaller than the 400 pound beast in the Volt. The battery being on backorder is probably a good thing, I wouldn't go spending almost 5000 bucks just to risk soon pumping money into other powertrain parts, other electronics etc as the car ages. I think you made a good call and seem to have a good perspective on it. What did you move on to?

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Malibu Hybrid
119 Posts
My 2017 Hybrid gave up at 131k miles. For the last few thousand miles my fuel economy had been sinking from an average of 39 to 30. I took it in back in October but they found nothing wrong. Last week I got a dash of lights and pulled codes P0C36 and P0AA6. Towed it in and was told the hv battery failed. Dealer said my city driving is hard on the battery and causes a lot of discharge charge cycles. Cost of replacement is $3600 plus $1000 to program and install it. I may have considered it but its on backorder and they have 2 other customers waiting with no eta. I can't be without car so traded it in for what little they would give. I know the hv battery is smaller in this car but I see another post on here saying theirs died at 120k. I guess I did better than that slightly. Good smooth driving car but a bit less life than I hoped for.
Was the $4600 for a totally new battery or a refurbished one? Seem like many modern cars need an expensive repair near that mileage. Especially the overworked small turbo engines. I wonder about the longevity of the new line of 3 cylinder engines.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Naive question,but is it not possible to reprogram the car to run on the ICE alone for the duration of its life.

On a separate note I picked up my other car from the foreign car service place a while back and stopped to admire a 5 series BMW parked out front. The person at the service desk commented that they were flat bedding it the next day to part out. It was a 2010 model, 127K miles and looked to be in great condition.

Maybe this is the new norm for these very complicated cars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies everyone. I believe the cost was for a new battery but it didnt matter since they didn't have any. They had two others waiting the longest was since october of last year. They did offer my a loaner for a week until i figure something out but I didn't want to wait months just to find out they never get any since the car is discontinued and obsolete. Still it was a great car while it lasted. It may be cars are just too complicated now but my wife drives a 2014 Regal with 2.0 turbo and it has 165,000 and hasn't had problems. After driving a bunch of cars I went with a 2021 Toyota Venza XLE. Toyota covers the hybrid battery for 150000 miles or ten years which speaks to how much more experience and confidence they have. We'll see. This time I am really gone for good or until the malibu electrifies lol. Bye.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,481 Posts
Was the $4600 for a totally new battery or a refurbished one? Seem like many modern cars need an expensive repair near that mileage. Especially the overworked small turbo engines. I wonder about the longevity of the new line of 3 cylinder engines.
I don't think there's such a thing as a "refurbished" battery for a hybrid vehicle. You can rebuild a broken engine, but I'm not aware of any way to do the equivalent with a hybrid/electric battery pack.

While I'm not keen on 3-cylinder engines myself, a turbocharged 4-cylinder like those in the Malibu can still be reliable, emphasis on "can." Though it's worth noting that a turbo is more or less a wear and tear item that can be expected to need replacing around 100,000 miles, there's no reason not to expect the engine and transmission to go much longer.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,481 Posts
Naive question,but is it not possible to reprogram the car to run on the ICE alone for the duration of its life.

On a separate note I picked up my other car from the foreign car service place a while back and stopped to admire a 5 series BMW parked out front. The person at the service desk commented that they were flat bedding it the next day to part out. It was a 2010 model, 127K miles and looked to be in great condition.

Maybe this is the new norm for these very complicated cars.
BMWs are lucky to make it to 100,000 miles, it's been that way for as long as I remember. They are designed for people who trade them in when the bumper to bumper warranty is up. Chevy is supposed to be the working man's car that is affordable to own and will last with basic maintenance.

Reactions: campb292

·
Super Moderator
3,378 Posts
I don't think there's such a thing as a "refurbished" battery for a hybrid vehicle.
I think there are some third party companies that dabble in refurbing defective hybrid hv batteries. I sure wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole or sit in a car running on one especially if wearing polyester.

Reactions: cp-the-nerd

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Malibu Hybrid
119 Posts
The starter for the ICE is one of the electric motors built into the powertrain. It runs on AC supplied from the inverter which is powered by the high voltage battery which is now dead. The 12v battery alone can't propel that electric motor to start the vehicle.

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Malibu Hybrid
119 Posts
After driving a bunch of cars I went with a 2021 Toyota Venza XLE. Toyota covers the hybrid battery for 150000 miles or ten years which speaks to how much more experience and confidence they have. We'll see. This time I am really gone for good or until the malibu electrifies lol. Bye.
I too have been eyeing the Venza, but think the 2021 Buick Envision looks somewhat nicer. I think I won't be happy unless I'm driving at least a hybrid or a very high range EV. Haven't test driven the Venza, but plan to some day.

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Malibu Hybrid
119 Posts
I think there are some third party companies that dabble in refurbing defective hybrid hv batteries. I sure wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole or sit in a car running on one especially if wearing polyester.
I've heard some companies replace the weak and/or failed batteries from the pack. But then you don't know when the next old battery they didn't replace will fail. If the price was right, I might do that with the relatively simple air cooled battery pack in the Malibu. I don't think I'd trust a rebuilt liquid cooled battery.

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Malibu Hybrid
119 Posts
After driving a bunch of cars I went with a 2021 Toyota Venza XLE. Toyota covers the hybrid battery for 150000 miles or ten years which speaks to how much more experience and confidence they have. We'll see. This time I am really gone for good or until the malibu electrifies lol. Bye.
I too bought a Venza XLE last week. We wanted a CUV for ease of entry/exit. Really liked the Malibu and have nothing bad to say about it. Would have purchased a GM hybrid CUV if they had one. Not ready for a full EV like the Bolt. The Venza is very nice. It got 47mpg on a trip this weekend (speeds 60mph and below). Still plan to keep an eye on the Malibu Hybrid forum and add my 2 cents when I have something to add.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Funny call from my old dealer this morning.

me "Hello"
Cam "Can I speak with Bryan"
"This is Bryan"
"Uh this is Cam over at Classic we just received the uh battery for your uh 2017 Malibu"
"I definitely don't need that anymore I traded that car in back in February"
"OK so what day did you want to drop it off we can could do it Tuesday or Wednesday next week"
"No I had that car towed from your dealership to a Toyota dealership back in February. The battery was not available back then and expensive. Tim was aware of the whole thing. It has probably been torn apart for scrap parts by now"
"Tim isn't here anymore"
"ok"
"so you don't want the battery is what youre telling me"
"i dont want the battery it has been 7 months"
"ya it took a long time to get"
"we all set then?"
guy mumbles then hangs up phone on me

·
Super Moderator
3,378 Posts
So you're telling us you no longer own the car?!?
:unsure:😉:unsure:

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,638 Posts
Bryan called me today with a special offer on a battery...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts