Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Malibu LT 1.5T
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had previously had a 6th Gen 05 Malibu Maxx that I'd purchased off of my boss at my previous job in February 2021. It had no A/C, Power Steering that would kick in and out (Typically wasn't working), and 236K miles on it.

But she was my first car, so I didn't care much about any of that. I finally had a car and named her Gail. She drove, had enough space for me and my friends, and was able to let me do some Uber Eats in my spare time for some extra cash. She was a little S***box, but I loved her all the same.

However, with a car that has 236K miles on it, she started to have issues with the brakes needing to be replaced, my shifter cable broke, had a coolant leak and one day while on the highway, I noticed the RPM's were sitting around 4K despite cruising. The engine completely stalled. Pulling to the side of the highway, I managed to get her started and get her farther and farther on my way home, the engine stalling around 4 times before I got home.

I parked her and realized that even with fixing the issues she had, it would more than likely be a bit too costly in the moment, but also just in general for a car with so many miles on it. It might be the end of me owning her. I hadn't told my roommate, but I cried a bit that night.

A month or so passes, and on July 4th, I sold her for around $200 after taking one last ride with her around my apartment complex. It was a rough day watching her drive out of view for the last time.

I piled the money aside and used it to help buy a 99 Pontiac Grand AM off of someone for $600. In the end I still had a car that had no A/C, 240K miles, and after a heater hose cracked under the hood, cooling issues. She sat for a long while before I ended up selling her to a friend's mechanic for $400. Again, I was carless.

Fast forward to now, I've had some time to build my credit, hold some money off to the side, and be patient. I told myself that buying a car this time, I'd get something with WELL under 240K miles, and was reliable enough for me to be able to drive it out of state.

I find myself at a Drivetime dealership, and after looking at a 2014 Volkswagen CC and a 2013 Nissan Altima, they showed me a 2018 Chevy Malibu. I took it out for a test drive and fell in love. Handled well, had a little spunk in the engine (Not sporty by any means, but enough that I can have a little spirited driving without getting in trouble) and had all features that while just average for any sedan on the market today, was amazing in my only-owned-older-vehicles eyes.

A couple of hours later, and I'm driving off the lot. I never expected to get a car with this late of a model year, and well below 100K miles either. Not even 3 days after buying it, I'm finding myself driving up to Utah to visit friends and loving every second of finally having a car that is more than up to the task of crossing state lines.

I never saw myself getting another Malibu, but I'm endlessly happy that I did. I've got plenty of miles to put on E.M.M.I (what I named her) and plenty of happy years ahead.

If you took the time to read all of this, I thank you tremendously!
Glasses Tire Wheel Smile Vehicle registration plate

Right after getting E.M.M.I.!

3rd day of ownership after a 6 and a half hour drive up to Utah.

2nd day having her, making a 6 1/2 hour drive up to Utah (Any tips for driving in the snow/ice? Losing traction is a scary beast).
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Automotive side marker light

My first car and Malibu, Gail.

TLDR: First car I owned was an 05 Malibu, I just bought a 2018 one and I'm
loving it!

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,678 Posts
Welcome to CMF. Thanks for the story and pics. Pretty cool to have a dependable car, isn't it? Congrats, too.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,245 Posts
Welcome.

Judging by the picture this is a LT trim, right?

Stay up on maintenance and she'll treat you well. As for snow and ice, other than chains (really only intended for mountain terrain and unpleasant), not much gets you reliable safety on ice. On snow and icy patches, it's all about tires. A full snow tire like a Blizzak or X-Ice are best but you can't use them year round in most climates. Next best is a high end all-season tire like the CrossClimate2.

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Malibu LT 1.5T
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome.

Judging by the picture this is a LT trim, right?

Stay up on maintenance and she'll treat you well. As for snow and ice, other than chains (really only intended for mountain terrain and unpleasant), not much gets you reliable safety on ice. On snow and icy patches, it's all about tires. A full snow tire like a Blizzak or X-Ice are best but you can't use them year round in most climates. Next best is a high end all-season tire like the CrossClimate2.
Thanks for the recommendations, I don't see myself often driving in the snow considering I'm in Nevada and the stuff almost never touches us, but a pair of snow tires would definitely be good to have to put on for when they're needed.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Malibu LT
170 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations, I don't see myself often driving in the snow considering I'm in Nevada and the stuff almost never touches us, but a pair of snow tires would definitely be good to have to put on for when they're needed.
I live in upstate NY-this Malibu is the best sedan I’ve owned in reference to driving in snow storms. Granted I’ve never owned an AWD or SUV & I do avoid snow driving if I can. Traction control/stabilitrak, 17 inch wheels (GY Assurance all season) overall light weight sedan may benefit as well

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,245 Posts
If driving in snow is rare you'd probably be fine in a high quality all season. With snow tires you have to either mount and unmount to your original wheels over and over or buy a 2nd set of wheels. I live in snow heavy west Michigan and run snows 4 months a year so 2nd set of wheels made sense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.