Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys - I finally pulled the trigger so now I am officially a new 09 Malibu owner - well almost - we need to process all the paperwork on Monday then pick it up sometime next week, but we settled on a price and car.

So we went to the dealership with the intentions of buying a 2LT Black Granite 4 cyl 6sp - this car had the Cocoa/Cashmier interior which we thought we would like, but when we got there - my wife hated it. Soooo - we decided to take it for a test drive anyway as we really haven't driven a 4cly 6sp for any length of time and wanted to see if it would have enough power for my/her liking.....well....it didn't. I couldnt see myself driving this combo for the next 3 years. Once you got it up to speed (70mph) it drove fine - but if I wanted to pull out to pass someone - you really had to depress the gas pedal for it to get going. The trans would downshift to 4th and the revs would come way up and it didnt 'really' go much faster.

So - what to do - well we did what any true Malibu fan would do .... we bought a 09 2LT Red Jewel w/Ebony interior with the 3.6 !! :D

Here is the run down...
2LT Malibu
Red Jewel Tintcoat
Ebony Interior
Moldings
Premium Mats
18" Chrome-Tech Alloys

I didnt get a smoking deal - but I really liked the dealership - I know they made money and we were happy with the price so we went with it. 23k after the 2750 rebate.

I will follow up with Pics later this week when I pick it up - but for now - I will just have to wait !!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Congrats! I felt the same way about the 4cyl. It actually propels the car rather well considering it's nearly 3600 lbs but I felt I wanted the power of the 6cyl. If gas prices go up again I may regret that decision. The 3.6L is quick but a bit on the thirsty side. With the 4cyl that I rented for a couple of weeks, I averaged 25 mpg mixed use. With the 6cyl, I only average 21 for the same driving. I still like the extra power though.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Awesome!

The 4-cyl is peppy and smooth, the current 6-spd variety the most spunky, and clearly what most Malibu's now sold are, and my mother loves her '08--it was my selection for her after a month with an '07 2.2L 'Bu that I really enjoyed & her wanting better mileage. 15 months in now, her sentiments remain but my father still complains about it being a dog, how the transmission is programmed, and bad fuel mileage. Oh well. If it were his choice, "a V6, no question". She'd probably have liked it even more, just not the mileage (then again...). I've had both and enjoyed both in their own ways.

Cool choice and what a color;) Congrats.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another thing to add - while we were there - a delivery truck came full of the new 2010 Camaros - it dropped off a Bright Red RS with V6 - now that I had a chance to really look one over - they are OK looking. The front is really nice - but the rear is kind of funny looking. The interior look kind of cheap as well. In my opinion - the new Mustang is much better looking.

The 'worst' part of the Camaro was - when the dealer owner started it up....oh my - it sounded horrible....I know it was a V6 - so I wasnt expecting a rumble - but eww - it had a really tinny sound....not what I would be looking for in a Camaro.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Another thing to add - while we were there - a delivery truck came full of the new 2010 Camaros - The interior look kind of cheap - it had a really tinny sound....not what I would be looking for in a Camaro.
Those were my concerns too over the new Camaro. From the photos, I didn't care for the dash layout. As to the exhaust sound, I don't think you can make a V6 sound good and free flowing. I'm sure the Chevy Engineers stressed alot on getting the exhaust tuning correct, trying to give it some tone without making it sound too ratty. That said if I was buying a Camaro, I would probably still pick the V6 just because it will perform well and still return decent gas mileage.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went to the dealer this afternoon and snapped a few pics - They aren't the best but they will tide me over until I pick it up later in the week.

Edit - I cant seem to upload the pics - the max is only 97.7 kbs ? My pic is only 208kb and I took it at my camera's lowest setting ??

How do you guys resize those pics you put on this board ?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lets see if I figured this out ?

Another

Inside.

One more.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok - I went to the dealership last night to sign all the paperwork and get the final payoff amount so I can get a check from my credit union.

Well of course when I got there and reviewed the paperwork - the number didnt match. WTF - what is with dealerships in their crooked approach.

When we negotiated the price - I asked them how much their doc fees were and they said 459.....I said NO WAY...I am not paying 459 in doc fees - the most I would pay was half - 230 - period.

So when they put their 'numbers' on the purchase order - they tried to charge me 689 more then the agreed upon price - of course its tough to figure when they are flashing the pages etc....I told them I needed a calculator to make sure the numbers work - and when I showed them the number - the financing guys - said - "Oh my mistake" I used the wrong numbers to your Doc fees - I added 230 to the 459 instead of cutting it in half.....but you never would have known - becuase he put it in the Sale price of the car.

This is the third time that I have 'caught' the financing guy trying to add to the bottom line and it was at three different dealerships - WTF.

And people wonder why consumers hate car buying - they are always trying to screw you. I can only imagine how many people "Trust" what the financing guy puts on the P.O. and screws people out of money.

I was sooo pissed - they all knew it too - I'm not a 'little' guy either - so there was a lot of uncomfortableness going on.......

Anyway - now that its fixed - lets see how taking delivery on Friday goes...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.