Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been able to find a time to get pictures of the car w/the tint, and have the car clean, and have enough light to take the picture with my phone (no flash), so I gave in and took some cramped angle pics in the garage tonight. Again, it's a phone, so I'm sorry for the crappy quality. Mostly cleaned up and newly tinted 2009 2LT:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nice tint my man, what percent is that? I live in Chicago and I want to get a tint that looks good overall but isnt too dark the cops follow/pull me over for it. I was thinking 20% but that might be too dark.

Yours does look good though, how does it look during the day?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont recall the %. I asked them to do it as dark as possible. A lot of places will tint it illegally if you ask them to, but I did this at the dealership. The back windows are pretty dark. The front windows aren't as dark. It is hard to tell the difference unless you're looking for it, but sometimes I notic during the day. You can also tell at night if the interior lights are on, it's a lot easier to see in to the front than the back. Maybe some day I'll have the front windows made darker somewhere else, but I dont think I want to get pulled over all the time for it. Not sure what the laws are in IL, but here in WI the back can be darker than the front.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here is an update in the daylight. Already a little dirty just from 1 day of driving in our lousy weather :(

You can see that the front window tint is a little less in the daylight (primarily because of daylight entering through the windshield and out of the side window making it obvious), but it isn't too bad or noticeable, and it's legal. The back looks nice though even in the light. Too bad I can't legally do that all the way around.

Let me know if you can't see it and I'll try to host it elsewhere, but this is the best I could do at work.

I like how this looks, though, and think chrome door handles would make it pop even more. I'm not sure about the pillar chrome (probably OK) and the mirror chrome (seems like too much) though.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just found this about the % of tint:

Front Side Windows Must allow more than 50% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Rear Window Must allow more than 35% of light in.

I think the dealer got it backwards and did the rear darker than the front :eek:

·
Registered
736 Posts
It depends on your state laws but most states require your front windows allow more light than your rears. It's a safety issue for both you (being able to see out) and police (being able to see in).

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It depends on your state laws but most states require your front windows allow more light than your rears. It's a safety issue for both you (being able to see out) and police (being able to see in).
Thats what I thought, but all searching has shown that the rear is more, or am I possibly reading this wrong.... Im thinking now that it's saying that it has to let 50% light through in the front and 35% in the back. I was thinking it meant that it was 50% tint in the front and 35% in the back (making the back lighter). Ooops.

Well, then to answer the question, the front is at 50% (50% tint, 50% visibility) and the rear windows are at 35% (65% tint, 35% visibility).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.