Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

First detail / winterized

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  1959 
#1 ·
Hello, this is my new bu Golden pewter metallic. The first test drive car had 8 miles on it and I bought it that day. I asked the dealer not to prep the car, and told the horror stories of dealer imposed scratches, he said it was the first time anyone had asked that. :confused:

First detail:

wash - Megs gold class
clay - Megs w/ quick detailer
polish - duragloss 601 bonding agent
polish - duragloss 105 sealant
-wait 24 hrs-
wax - Collinite 855 fleet wax
-waited 2 days-
wash - Megs gold class
wax - Megs #26 carnauba
Rims - Collinite 845 insulator wax

It was a long process, but it should survive a tough Michigan Winter, and still bead up next Spring! **pics on the way**

#3 ·
I wish I had the tolerance to do the kind of maintenance you guys do on your cars LOL.. the most I'll do is bring it to the dealership have them do it and then quickly inspect it to ensure it meets my standards.

#4 ·
Car looks awesome, and FANTASTIC move telling the dealer not to prep it. Not that they intentionally do things to hurt the finish, but with limited time and a lot of cars to "clean", there's only so much they can do.

The biggest issue are new cars with flawless paint being swirled up with bad washing via wash tunnels (i.e. like a car wash), bad clothes, brushes, etc. A common complaint among new car buyers who notice this sort of thing.

Our Dark Gray '08, despite being through 3 dealers (swapped 3 times in its first week of existence) came out A-ok, with nary a mark. My Summit White '09 was kept mostly spotless on the lots, but still came with fairly noticeable swirls (it's white, so not TOO bad, but I notice it) from however the first dealer washed it I think.

Regardless...again, good move, and nice detail job on the Golden Pewter. That color was another one of my "almosts" and after seeing it again and again in real life, I'd say it probably has to be one of the most forgiving as far as dirt and/or scratches/marks, while still being a elegant color.

#7 ·
Noooo I have high standards.. I just don't want to do the labour to fixing it LOL.. don't worry I notice these small things. You saw my post a few weeks ago about how someone put a lil' scratch into my door and I noticed it immediately?

#9 ·
Noooo I have high standards.. I just don't want to do the labour to fixing it LOL.. don't worry I notice these small things.
I don't either anymore. A couple of years ago, I'd spend ALL day doing step after step after step on my car that really didn't need it, but it was part of doing it correctly and I was proud afterwards.

Now, no thank you. I still do daily wipe downs, to essentially the car is "washed" daily (which makes enough people think I'm crazy...but then they compliment me on the never dirty car), but as far as detailing, no more intensive step by step polishing, various sealants, etc. I've narrowed it down to things that work as easily and quickly as possible for the results I want, and call it a day.

Color wise, again, Golden Pewter (or just Blue-Gold as I still call it) is one of the easiest in terms of care, and a good choice if you're looking for that without going silver or gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.