Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the filter I had waiting to go on my talon and put it on the Malibu. Still
Working out the mounting still, I'm going to probably replace the plastic piping with hard tubing as well as add a heat barrier for it.

Noticeably louder, I'll run around with it like this for a while see what I think.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Sweet. Let me know how it works out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The engine is louder because of the filter change? Is it becasue the filter is sized for the Talon motor and not the 3.6 L?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IT's louder because you can hear the valve noise through the open intake element. This is normal for any vehicle.

Filters really aren't "sized" for a motor anyway, sure you can have a filter that's too small but you really can't have one that's too big. My talon flows over 1100CFM under wide open and it has a smaller filter than this. 1100cfm is over 850horsepower worth of airflow ;).

There are a few ways to quiet it down a bit inside the car, I'm planning on adding a heat barrier to separate the filter from the engine area itself. Another way is to add a foam cover to the filter.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Less restriction = more sound!

Back in the day we used to remove the air filter assembly entirely, pull a nylon down around the carb and be ready to rumble! Keeps the junk out for fun runs...

But really the sound is probably the main reason people buy alternative air filter systems, a 4 cyl can sound like a motorcycle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
lol i had mine running this way the first week i got the car, you get that deep hum around 2500 with stress on the motor right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
sup. name's doug.. i did the same to my 2006 3.9L Maxx SS..

sounds sweet..

if anyone has input on and performance mods feel free to share

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.