Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1000 on my new LTZ 3.6.first oil & filter change, and check up.at selling dealer. put in Mobil 1, 5/30.cost,$68.62.mobil 1 is the only oil i use in my cars.the more I drive this car the more I like it.the gas milage is great,drives better than my 06 Cadillac SRX.the SRX is a fine car. I run the 88 octane gas in it.I live in the mountains. 7300 ft.the remote start works realy good ,well thats the lates up dates for me. jack.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just hit 1000 and I'm still debating if I should stick to 3k for first change or do it now?

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
I just hit 1000 and I'm still debating if I should stick to 3k for first change or do it now?
I turned 1000 miles a few days ago and decided I will change the oil this week. Although the Oil Minder is showing 70% oil life left, I feel playing it safe won't hurt. I also use Mobile1 and will use the oil minder for timing the subsequent changes.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Why are we changing oil at 1000 miles? I looked in the manual and couldn't find anything about changing the oil at 1000 miles.

I change oil every 5k and will be switching to Mobile one then.

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
Why are we changing oil at 1000 miles? I looked in the manual and couldn't find anything about changing the oil at 1000 miles.
For me, the reason has to do with other members reporting metal filings in their oil filters at the first oil change. I'm not comfortable with that.
I change oil every 5k and will be switching to Mobile one then.
I, too, will switch to Mobile1. Then use the oil minder to determine the change interval.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Chalk up another M1 user here, at least on my old machine. >210k mi and still kicking. My M'Bu's parts will swim only in M1.

DrD

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm just about to hit 3000. The first oil change is going to happen this weekend. I'll also be going to Mobil1. Ironically, my driving must be far more highway than most, because the OLS readout still says 74%.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Changed my 3.6L tonight. 1198 miles. 5W30 FormulaShell "Dino" oil.
It was pretty easy to change although access to the filter is a little tight.
The oil was relatively clean. Didn't notice any metal flakes in the oil. 5Q + 200cc's.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am debating whether or not to change mine at 1000 as well...

I only run Mobil 1 Extended Service. It has double the amounts of sythetic lubricants as regular Mobil 1. My cousin who owns race cars uses only this oil, and they change it after every race.... good enough for me!

I even had the dealer put it in the car before I left the dealership...

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've never used Mobil 1. On my grand prix I recently switched to an oil designed for high-mileage cars over 75K miles.

Then again, this is the longest I've kept a car until now (up to almost 87K). In the past I usually traded them in between 60-70K miles.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I always do the first oil change early. It's cheap even if the dealer does it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Changed my 3.6L tonight. 1198 miles. 5W30 FormulaShell "Dino" oil.
It was pretty easy to change, although access to the filter is a little tight....
a LITTLE tight?........................how in the hell do you get to it???? That's the stupidest place for an oil filter, high and in an almost inaccessible area!

·
Registered
112 Posts
what are folks using to get the old filter cap off? still having a hard time finding a great tool...
I used a small diameter filter removal wrench from the auto parts store. I originally purchased it for my Harley.

·
Registered
112 Posts
a LITTLE tight?........................how in the hell do you get to it???? That's the stupidest place for an oil filter, high and in an almost inaccessible area!
From underneath. I ran the car up on service ramps I bought at Sears. As you back the filter off it drains consistently from one location so you need not move your pan around to catch the oil.

Careful you don't burn your forearm on the exhaust header.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yea, I may change @ 1K as well. Usually you can find online dealer coupons for $29 bucks for an oil change if you don't mind the cheap stuff. I use M1 in my other rides and ussually get it @ Target or Walmart for $25 for 5 quarts. A lot cheaper than the auto stores...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ran the car up on service ramps I bought at Sears.
I don't have any ramps (yet) and any easy details around what you have for length/height/incline angle or even make/model of ramps would be appreciated?

I was concerned about being able to clear the ramp considering how low the car is. I'm ready to do my first oil change and really appreciate all the good info in the forum. Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.