Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

First oil change interval?

16K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  mi77915 
#1 ·
New 'Bu owner here. I didn't notice anything in the owner's manual about a shortened interval for the first oil change. Did I miss it? Or is there nothing special about the first oil change and it should be done at the usual time, when the oil life system tells you to?

#2 ·
People who are obsessed will tell you immediately at 3-4k miles... I schedule an oil change when my oil life reaches 40-45%.

For my first oil change.. I scheduled a change at 55% or around 4,500 miles.

#3 ·
if you think you might want to change the oil, first pull the filter and look at all the metal shavings on it. you'll be changing it that day.

#4 ·
I didnt get to look as I had it done at the dealership at 1000. Is this really common or was it only with a few people? Anyone have any idea if it's known with GM and normal or no? Should we be concerned here or is this typical with break in? Any more common with any particular engine? Anyone see it after the 1k change, or was it gone for good at that point. I ask because I switched to synthetic and didnt plan on changing the filter for another 3-4k and the oil for about 6k.

#5 ·
now days you dont have to worry about break in periods, engines are good to go from the factory, change it when you want, 3000 or 3 months, or if you want, use the oil life system. i havent seen any issues with either ways. on my impala i changed it at 2k on the factory oil, just to get the factory oil out of it. first oil change is optional, i just always change mine at 1k-2k when i get a new car. and after i always go 3k.

#10 ·
I'll tell you tomorrow if the weather is decent. If the snow melts in front of my garage, I can get the Z/28 out and the Malibu in for service. It will be the 2nd oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.