Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my first trip in the 'Bu is tomorrow to Houston (roughly 4-5 hours from Dallas). I will report back on the ride and gas mileage. So far, it's been doing 22 mpg in the city, so I'm happy!

We're celebrating our 1 year anniversary, so between that and the car, I'm a very happy man!

Will give updates Monday or Tuesday!

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
Well, my first trip in the 'Bu is tomorrow to Houston (roughly 4-5 hours from Dallas). I will report back on the ride and gas mileage. So far, it's been doing 22 mpg in the city, so I'm happy!

We're celebrating our 1 year anniversary, so between that and the car, I'm a very happy man!

Will give updates Monday or Tuesday!
Have a safe trip, Patrick. I know you'll enjoy the ride. ;) Congrats on the anniversary. :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a safe trip, Patrick. I know you'll enjoy the ride. ;) Congrats on the anniversary. :D
Thanks! I've got the XM primed and the Ipod loaded:D

·
Registered
244 Posts
Have a fun, safe trip - looking forward to the report! What's the favorite tune on the ipod?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have a fun, safe trip - looking forward to the report! What's the favorite tune on the ipod?
This might be the easy way out, but I don't have a favorite. I'm a R&B person from birth, but you will find Jazz and Gospel and some Rock on there too.......just not Country.....not to big a fan of Country music...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Nice, anything will sound good in that car!!! Make sure to call OnStar and blast some tunes - they love that!

·
Registered
112 Posts
You are on top of the world -sir. All the best.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congrats on the anniversary, and enjoy your trip!!I'm getting similar milage in my city driving and would love to get a road trip in as the weather begins to change.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I got back from Houston yesterday, and the trip was great! I got to spend about 500 miles in my 'Bu, and I have no complaints (if there are, they are minor)

First off, the gas mileage. Going to Houston yielded the best gas mileage of 30 mpg overall. I attribute that to being in mostly downhill terrain. Coming back I yielded 28 mpg. It's not a bummer, as it was just a little over half a tank. There was only one stop going and one stop coming back (I hate stopping in the middle of a road trip that's just 4 hours....but when nature calls, you must answer!)

Next, the ride itself. It was extremely comfortable. The ride is smooth without being too firm or too soft. The car was very stable (it was kinda windy) and of course, quiet.

The sound system. I think I complained in another post that the Premium Sound Package was kind of so-so. Now, don't get me wrong, it's not as good as when I had my amp and 10" sub in my other car, but it has gotten better since I purchased the car. I don't know if my ears have adjusted, or the speakers have actually gotten better. The bass is good without being muddled and overpowering, and the separation is pretty decent with the other speakers. My only quibble is that with XM, I have to crank the volume to about 75% in order to get the sound I would out of my Ipod at 25%.

Last but not least, the seats. Ok, my back has been a little worn lately, and a long drive sitting still doesn't help. However, the Ultralux seats are some of the most comfortable I have ever sat in...in a car (save for the buttery seats in Lexus vehicles....mmmmmm). Toward the end of the trip, I decided to use the heat to relax my lower back. I must say, I have never sat in a Heated seat that got to full temperature (HOT!) in less than 15 seconds.....I counted..yes, less than 15 seconds! That was great! I felt rejuvinated after about 5 minutes of the heat and was able to continue my drive with more energy.

Well, enough of my "blogging". I just wanted to share my experience with this wonderful vehicle! I don't know when I'll be able to drive that far again in the 'Bu (I'm on a Smart Buy), but I'll probably sneak in some shorter trips here and there.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Thanks for the report.
I also noticed the I have to play the XM louder than a CD.
I hurt my back a couple years ago and I can stay comfortable in the LTZ seat. I'm not sure if our seats are the same as the Ultralux, but with a different cover.
What were your driving speeds?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Each way I was doing about 75-80...slowing down to 60 when I saw the cops.

·
Registered
795 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Glad you had fun on your trip - those seats are comfortable - the gas milage seems adequate and I agree about the heated seats and how fast they heat up!

·
Registered
326 Posts
First off, the gas mileage. Going to Houston yielded the best gas mileage of 30 mpg overall. I attribute that to being in mostly downhill terrain. Coming back I yielded 28 mpg. It's not a bummer, as it was just a little over half a tank. There was only one stop going and one stop coming back (I hate stopping in the middle of a road trip that's just 4 hours....but when nature calls, you must answer!)
Is your 2LT the 4 or 6 cylinder?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How many miles do you have...just trying to get an idea of how broken in it is.
After the trip, it has about 1,500 miles.

Is your 2LT the 4 or 6 cylinder?
I have the 4 cylinder.

It's funny, because after the "break-in" period of 500 miles, the engine has a deeper, more throaty sound than when new. At the beginning, it sounded more like an "electric" motor being wound up, but now it's deeper and more v6 like.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Question - do you have the AUTO volume on - do you have it set at LOW/MED/HIGH - this may account for the XM radio being lower / higher than a CD or an IPOD - just a thought....

·
Registered
244 Posts
Also, I have just over 800 miles on my Malibu - and you're right about the engine tone/volume - although with my radio blasting I can't hear much anything else...

Question for those of you with a sunroof - how does the wind volume noise compare to other vehicles' with sunroofs....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Question - do you have the AUTO volume on - do you have it set at LOW/MED/HIGH - this may account for the XM radio being lower / higher than a CD or an IPOD - just a thought....
I actually turned the Auto Volume off....it's turned to be more of a nuisance than anything else. I turned it off in my Jetta also.

Question for those of you with a sunroof - how does the wind volume noise compare to other vehicles' with sunroofs....
Quite honestly, when the sunroof is closed, I forget it's there! The car is extremely quiet, even with the sunroof. Now, when it's open and it's windy outside, that's a different story!

·
Registered
112 Posts
when closed - zero difference between hardtop.

when open - someone worked hard on reducing wind noise. I cannot get it into a head buffeting situation that you can with so many cars.

I use it all the time and love it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.