Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, not exactly. I used to change my own oil on my '87 Nissan pickup and on my'95 Jimmy. But since kids arrived in 2000, oil changes became a quicky lube operation. Now that my 18 year old has two cars of his own ('65 Corvair Corsa and a daily driver '92 Lexus SC 400), I'm out working with him. I changed the oil on my Avalanche last weekend.

Today, I thought it best to learn how to change it on my '16 Hybrid. Amazing how little information there is out on the hybrid oil changes. However, I muddled through.

First, the oil drain plug is a 14mm metric. I expected SAE like on the Avalanche.

Second, the oil filter is a cartridge, not a screw off canister like on every other car / truck.

But at least I see the underside is very clean.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i new to this forum and own a 2017 hybrid with 56,000 miles. The dealer had been doing the oil changes, but I haven't been able to get an appointment unless I take the day off....long story short, I changed oil before in numerous vehicles. The specs seem the same for the 2016 and 2017....is the filter on the underside of car? The other cars I have that have cartridge type filters are on the topside, but I did not see it after a quick look under the hood

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The filter is under the car next to the gas engine and requires a 32mm socket. It is plastic, so don't break it with a Crescent wrench.

I have pictures but can't seem to load them. The “add image” in Tapatalk is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3 Posts
The person who posted that the oil cap on the 1.8L Hybrid is 32mm is incorrect Those are specs for the 2.0L On the 1.8L 2016 hybrid the cap is 24mm and the drain is 15mm- not 14.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i new to this forum and own a 2017 hybrid with 56,000 miles. The dealer had been doing the oil changes, but I haven't been able to get an appointment unless I take the day off....long story short, I changed oil before in numerous vehicles. The specs seem the same for the 2016 and 2017....is the filter on the underside of car? The other cars I have that have cartridge type filters are on the topside, but I did not see it after a quick look under the hood
How did it go with the oil change on Your 2017 Hybrid? I recently bought a 2017 Hybrid and will be doing maintenance myself. Any insight is appreciated!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts