Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to find this topic; but didn't see it so I apoligize if I overlooked it

Anyway; here's the question. Our car came with the "wonderful" air compressor and leak sealer.
We bought a spare to have something 'dependable" just in case.
I decided since we have the compressor; we'd keep it in the car also as a backup.
SO that got me to thinking about carrying a can of fix-a-flat also.

Now I am curious;... if you use that does it screw up the low air pressure sensors in the tires - is there a "special" kind of sealer you have to use - obviously Chevy supplies the fix-a-flat in the compressor so it would seem there is "some" kind for it.
Anyone have any concrete answers
THANKS

·
Registered
494 Posts
I looked into this since the Gen 9 Premier only comes with the 'kit'. I still found a spare+jack kit off eBay since I don't fully trust the sealant, plus if the sidewall is damaged in the flat tire the kit is useless.

Most of the sealants out there are TPMS safe BUT you need to get the tire fixed within a day or two of it going flat. The product will be labeled if it it is as such. After a few days the material turns rather rubbery and will not come off. Many shops will tell you they trash the TPMS sensor but they don't IF you use the right product. The sensors do need to be removed and rinsed off if you used the sealant.

You can find out more on line with some minor amount of digging as I did a few months ago.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My question about the sealant kit provided by GM in the hybrid is does it freeze and/or lose expellant pressure during cold weather? If so, it would be totally useless four to six months of the year here in Canada and the northern states.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried to find this topic; but didn't see it so I apoligize if I overlooked it

Anyway; here's the question. Our car came with the "wonderful" air compressor and leak sealer.
We bought a spare to have something 'dependable" just in case.
I decided since we have the compressor; we'd keep it in the car also as a backup.
SO that got me to thinking about carrying a can of fix-a-flat also.

Now I am curious;... if you use that does it screw up the low air pressure sensors in the tires - is there a "special" kind of sealer you have to use - obviously Chevy supplies the fix-a-flat in the compressor so it would seem there is "some" kind for it.
Anyone have any concrete answers
THANKS
I don't have an answer for that, but I will suggest you change the run-flat tires with regular ones, get a spare tire (I bought mine for $120 on ebay), wrench socket and a jack. I sold out the leak-sealer on ebay for $80.00

·
Registered
1 Posts
So we had a very low tire - down to 13 pounds. Pulled over to change the tire & put that little spare on. No spare. Was the pump & sealant thing. Had no idea. It had broken all over the floor of my car (under the trunk floor where it was stored). Tried to air up the tire & inject the sealant. It spewed all over my husband. Had holes in the plastic tubing. Think it froze & broke or something. Needless to say, we were stranded 25 miles from any town. After getting a new tire, we got a spare wheel from a salvage & a spare tire. Never again. These do not work in Kansas where winters are sub-freezing at night very often. My Malibu is a 2014. Have no idea how to clean up the mess in my car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry for the mess. I had a similar situation, so I ended up replacing all 4 tires with regular ones (no run -flat type) and buying a real spare tire, a separate jack with nut-wrench.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts