Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my OEM fog light switch which I will be wiring to make work for my fogs, but without connecting to the BCM. Took a quick glance at it and it has 4 prongs. Might take a trip to the junkyard to see if I can at least get the connector from the dash of a car that had fogs. Anyone have a schematic of what the 4 prongs are? I'm guessing power, out to BCM, ground, and LED, but don't know which is which.

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Best I can find for a 2009
A blk is Ground
B yellow is fog lamp relay control
C Orange is front fog lamp switch signal
D Gray Instrument panel lamp supply voltage

Does this make any sense to you?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,605 Posts
A - Black - Ground
B - Yellow - Power to fog relay, also illuminates LED in switch to indicate fogs are on
C - Orange - NO (Normally Open) signal to turn fogs on/off, provides a ground signal
D - Dash - Power from dash lights to illuminate switch

The issue you need to overcome is the signal from "C" is momentary, not latched. You need a latching/unlatching circuit (flip-flop) that will see the signal from "C" and energize/de-energize the fog relay that you use.

I recommend putting a 2A fuse between "A" and ground so if there is an overload on any circuit that fuse will blow. Otherwise, put one each on "B" and "C" to protect those circuits individually. "D" won't need one since it is protected by the IPC fuse already.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A - Black - Ground
B - Yellow - Power to fog relay, also illuminates LED in switch to indicate fogs are on
C - Orange - NO (Normally Open) signal to turn fogs on/off, provides a ground signal
D - Dash - Power from dash lights to illuminate switch

The issue you need to overcome is the signal from "C" is momentary, not latched. You need a latching/unlatching circuit (flip-flop) that will see the signal from "C" and energize/de-energize the fog relay that you use.

I recommend putting a 2A fuse between "A" and ground so if there is an overload on any circuit that fuse will blow. Otherwise, put one each on "B" and "C" to protect those circuits individually. "D" won't need one since it is protected by the IPC fuse already.
Ok, so I could run A to ground, easy, and I'd probably run D to corner marker lights since I hate trying to crimp onto the tiny wires they use in the dash, but easy enough. C would go to the DEI 611T Latching Relay. My question is B. I guess I could run a line from the output of the latching relay back to the switch on B, so when the relay is on, the led would be as well? Sound correct?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How I was going to do mine . But power from a relay that stops power with high beams off .
Yeah, that would be more the way factory should work. I want to be able to run mine with the high beams. I work on a back dirt road and in the winter every day coming home from work is running the deer gauntlet

·
Administrator
20,605 Posts
Ok, so I could run A to ground, easy, and I'd probably run D to corner marker lights since I hate trying to crimp onto the tiny wires they use in the dash, but easy enough. C would go to the DEI 611T Latching Relay. My question is B. I guess I could run a line from the output of the latching relay back to the switch on B, so when the relay is on, the led would be as well? Sound correct?
Yes, 100% correct. The power for B is just to show the fogs are on. It comes from the power output of the relay that turns the fogs on, which is what you just said.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, 100% correct. The power for B is just to show the fogs are on. It comes from the power output of the relay that turns the fogs on, which is what you just said.
Thanks for the help. All I have left to pickup are the DEI relay and the pigtail to plug into the switch then I'm ready to tear the bumper off. It's becoming imperative I add some style to the Malibu. My sister-in-law bought a 1LT same color as your a week after I got mine, and yesterday my brother-in-law bought black 2LT. Neither has fogs or a spoiler, so I'll start there.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey what did you use to hold fog light to bumper ? I got everything lights ,trim harness parts,switch off a wrecked BU and bumper cover was gone.C-clips ,Screws? Just wanted to have those small things you never think off. The 20 mile + trip to town to get parts gets old.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't installed mine yet, still need the relay and the pigtail from the switch, but I believe there are clips molded into the bumper that the fogs snap onto

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have not takenn apart yet like said long way to town . Thank you for the post on topic
There is a space behind the bumper that fit into the edges of the fog light trim, it is simple just insert... I did notice it does get hard to remove once on there which is kind of a good thing so it will not fall off while driving and what not.

·
Registered
219 Posts
There is a space behind the bumper that fit into the edges of the fog light trim, it is simple just insert... I did notice it does get hard to remove once on there which is kind of a good thing so it will not fall off while driving and what not.
Thanks . I got everything to do fogs off wreck(rear ) Fogs were on seat front bumper cover gone. got allot of harness plugs switch and what ever else I could carry .

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will not be connecting anything to the BCM on mine. I'm using a DEI 611T latching relay to make the factory switch latch, and will pull power from the parking lights, which will allow the switch to illuminate with the interior lights at night. Everything will appear factory with one exception. My fogs will not turn off when the hi-beams come on. Other than that, everything will appear factory.

·
Administrator
20,605 Posts
I will not be connecting anything to the BCM on mine. I'm using a DEI 611T latching relay to make the factory switch latch, and will pull power from the parking lights, which will allow the switch to illuminate with the interior lights at night. Everything will appear factory with one exception. My fogs will not turn off when the hi-beams come on. Other than that, everything will appear factory.
There is an easy modification to your circuit to you have the fog lights turn off when the highs turn on. If you are interested let me know and I will help you with a circuit.

Sent from the mobile phone of DrivenDaily!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There is an easy modification to your circuit to you have the fog lights turn off when the highs turn on. If you are interested let me know and I will help you with a circuit.

Sent from the mobile phone of DrivenDaily!
Nope! lol, I specifically want them to stay on with the high beams. I work on a back dirt road in deer country. The more light while I run the gauntlet in the fall the better. thanks for the offer though

·
Administrator
20,605 Posts
Nope! lol, I specifically want them to stay on with the high beams. I work on a back dirt road in deer country. The more light while I run the gauntlet in the fall the better. thanks for the offer though
But I insist!

:) :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts