Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Keep me updated in regards to your progress at the dealer. Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions in the meantime. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
Hi I'm Mike I have take my car in to the dealership 3 time the first time they said it was a dirty pcv value an the engine light went off for a few days it came back on an I told them I was having high idling an I feeling sort of hard shifts in the transmission an I told them can u check the transmission an they said they an there nothing wrong with it an so I taking it in again because the engine light on again an the give me a rental car an when I wented back it wouldn't started an I asked the floor manager to take a look and the whole dashboard was blinking off an on an they taken it again an when I came an got it they told me that one of pistons was crack an the replace it an before I got my car it wouldn't started they jumped started it an it came on an one of the staff told me I might need a new battery soon I said ok well why I needed a new one when it was not doing this stuff before so now my engine came back on an it high idling an my battery will not keep charged an when I'm at a stop light it trying to stalling on me an there a knocking noise now when I jumped started it an I haven't been hearing this noise before I taken my car in the dealership an my car justed cut off on me justed now an it holding 13.7 voltage the battery it was at 14.1 it started to go down slowly can u help me an my car is a 2016 chevy Malibu wit only 59,099 miles on it

Keep me updated in regards to your progress at the dealer. Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions in the meantime. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
An I'm taking it in tomorrow morning hopefully they fix it because if there sumthing else wrong with it down the road I'm justed going to trade it in for like a 2018-2020
equinox LT be cool to drive

Oh I kinda forgot bout the stabilizer pop up an my Cruise patrol don't work I'm going tell them that to tomorrow hopefully they find the problems though

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,069 Posts
Hi I'm Mike I have take my car in to the dealership 3 time the first time they said it was a dirty pcv value an the engine light went off for a few days it came back on an I told them I was having high idling an I feeling sort of hard shifts in the transmission an I told them can u check the transmission an they said they an there nothing wrong with it an so I taking it in again because the engine light on again an the give me a rental car an when I wented back it wouldn't started an I asked the floor manager to take a look and the whole dashboard was blinking off an on an they taken it again an when I came an got it they told me that one of pistons was crack an the replace it an before I got my car it wouldn't started they jumped started it an it came on an one of the staff told me I might need a new battery soon I said ok well why I needed a new one when it was not doing this stuff before so now my engine came back on an it high idling an my battery will not keep charged an when I'm at a stop light it trying to stalling on me an there a knocking noise now when I jumped started it an I haven't been hearing this noise before I taken my car in the dealership an my car justed cut off on me justed now an it holding 13.7 voltage the battery it was at 14.1 it started to go down slowly can u help me an my car is a 2016 chevy Malibu wit only 59,099 miles on it

An I'm taking it in tomorrow morning hopefully they fix it because if there sumthing else wrong with it down the road I'm justed going to trade it in for like a 2018-2020
equinox LT be cool to drive

Oh I kinda forgot bout the stabilizer pop up an my Cruise patrol don't work I'm going tell them that to tomorrow hopefully they find the problems though
Please share info about your car by reading this post. After that, we'll move your 3 posts that were merged into a single post to the correct section.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This seems to happen to my car about every 6-9 months. I pull the cover for the BCM thats by the passengers left foot. Take off both BCM connectors, put them back on and the problem is gone again for another 6-9 months. Just seems to be "one of those things" that you figure out and deal with. No big deal.

Don't waste your time taking it in to the dealer. A 5 year old could unplug and plug in the BCM connectors. Just do it and the problem goes away. If you have some dielectric grease, smear a little on. I don't, but still fixes the problem.
How hard is it getting to the BCM? Is there a site that will show what parts to remove? I've got a 2011 LTZ and I'm having brake light problems and ESC light is on.

·
Administrator
19,069 Posts
Please see post #10. Until now, the thread title did not include that, but after looking through the thread I felt it was good to add it so new readers can more quickly find the solution.

·
Registered
2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT 3.6V6
2 Posts
Good morning all. I have a 2009 2LT 3.6 V6 with 208,000 miles.

For some background, my parents bought the car new. My mom drove it for several years and put about 120,000 miles on it. During that time, she would often get a "check gas cap" message. Multiple trips to the dealer and multiple new gas caps never solved the problem. After I bought the car in 2016, the occasional "check gas cap" messages continued and later I started getting "service ESC" or "service traction" messages. All of these messages would come and go with no change in the car's performance. Periodically, the express up/down feature on the drivers window also stops working.

Last week while pulling out of the parking lot at work, the transmission shifted very hard from first to second, the check engine light came on, and the car refused to shift out of second. Reverse worked fine but the car was locked in second going forward. No self shifting either. It was a long 45 miles home.

Google brought me here and after some reading it occured to me that every time I've gotten a service message, it's been during wet weather and it had rained the night before the latest episode too.

So I pulled all of the ECM and BCM connections, gently cleaned the pins with a small brass wire brush, and put dielectric grease on all the connections. Reconnected the battery and started the car. As soon as it shifts to second, the engine light comes on and its locked in that "limp mode" I've seen mentioned here.

After checking all the ECM and BCM connectors again, I started randomly checking wires and connections under the hood. This led me to a box between the battery and the firewall with a large connector plugged into the front of it and what look like 4 brake lines running into the top of it. I have no idea what this thing is or does, but the connector was full of dirt and corrosion. I cleaned it and added dielectric grease thinking I had solved the problem. I was wrong. The car still goes into limp mode as soon as it shifts to second. But on the flip side, the express up/down on the drivers window started working again. So theres that.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. I've reached the point of giving up and taking it to a shop. All thought and comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
19,069 Posts
That module with the brake lines is the ABS module. There is nothing wrong with cleaning that connector, and everything right.

Under the console is the BCM. If you take of the cover from the driver's side you can access another connector that isn't quite so obvious.

There is another control module connection between the battery and radiator support if you didn't find it yet.

Since your family has owned it since new, do you know if the trans fluid has ever been serviced? If not, you may want to consider it.

The Service ESC and/or ESC Off messages can plague you with their incessant warnings, but for my 2011 3.6L, it's most likely the SAS (steering angle sensor) located on the steering shaft under the dash. I just haven't gotten around to having it fixed. It'll come on almost daily for a period of time, then be off for months at a time as well, which suggests to me that it's just a dirty or corroded connection.

Another item to consider is the ECT - engine coolant temp - sensor. If it's bad and the temp gauge climbs pretty high, it could be signaling an overheat condition to the BCM that then tells the ECM to go into Limp Mode, but that's just a theory. I had my ECT fail 2 years ago and it kept driving normally even after popping a message that it was overheating. I pulled over, checked it all out, then continued. Only 5 miles later and it was in Limp Mode. The t-stat had actually failed in a closed position and the ECT was properly indicating the condition. The following week I made a round trip of 1500 miles after replacing the t-stat, water pump, most of the hoses, and cleaning the overflow reservoir. Not one problem, and it had only water in it (in case I needed to open it up again and keep from losing expen$ive coolant).

·
Registered
2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT 3.6V6
2 Posts
That module with the brake lines is the ABS module. There is nothing wrong with cleaning that connector, and everything right.

Under the console is the BCM. If you take of the cover from the driver's side you can access another connector that isn't quite so obvious.

There is another control module connection between the battery and radiator support if you didn't find it yet.

Since your family has owned it since new, do you know if the trans fluid has ever been serviced? If not, you may want to consider it.

The Service ESC and/or ESC Off messages can plague you with their incessant warnings, but for my 2011 3.6L, it's most likely the SAS (steering angle sensor) located on the steering shaft under the dash. I just haven't gotten around to having it fixed. It'll come on almost daily for a period of time, then be off for months at a time as well, which suggests to me that it's just a dirty or corroded connection.

Another item to consider is the ECT - engine coolant temp - sensor. If it's bad and the temp gauge climbs pretty high, it could be signaling an overheat condition to the BCM that then tells the ECM to go into Limp Mode, but that's just a theory. I had my ECT fail 2 years ago and it kept driving normally even after popping a message that it was overheating. I pulled over, checked it all out, then continued. Only 5 miles later and it was in Limp Mode. The t-stat had actually failed in a closed position and the ECT was properly indicating the condition. The following week I made a round trip of 1500 miles after replacing the t-stat, water pump, most of the hoses, and cleaning the overflow reservoir. Not one problem, and it had only water in it (in case I needed to open it up again and keep from losing expen$ive coolant).
I thought maybe that was the ABS module. I'll look for that connection behind the BCM and try it next. I had issues with the car running hot last summer but a new water pump fixed that. I forgot to mention that I replaced the alternator last year too. My mother had the car serviced religiously every 3000 miles by the dealership the entire time she owned it but I dont know if they ever touched the transmission. My mom is one of those ladies that walks into the service dept for an oil change and says "just do whatever you think needs done" so theres no telling what they did or didn't do.

·
Administrator
19,069 Posts
Being the current owner and the previous owner's offspring, you might ask them for a copy or printout of the service records.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts