Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having a problem with my car it started with the SERVICE ESC came on and then sometimes it would also say traction is low. I keep my vehicle well maintained. Well no my car has cut off on at least every drive so I am currently not driving vehicle. As I looked to seek information about this problem I learned that my 2012 chevy malibu cannot get fixed was on recall on the wiring from the assembly line for this same issue a year prior to my purchase. Please help I have paid my note up until jan 2018 but no vehicle to drive. I'm a single mother with small children is there anyway possible I can get a trade in? 313-948-9300

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the Break Lamp Recall work done on my 2009 Malibu in July of 2016. I am now having the same issues with the Break Lamps. They illuminate while driving and shut off when I'm actually braking. I think the recall work, the dielectirc lubricant is just a band aid and not a permanent fix.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,987 Posts
Since it is doing it again, and since the recall was performed, and since they believe that it was done in a satisfactory manner, you're probably on the hook for the repair at this point.

A call to your dealer might yield some help from them and/or GM, but that's not a given.

Deoxit is a good contact cleaner that you can use to clean the contacts on the plugs and the BCM, plugging them in and out a number of times to help burnish the surfaces, then apply some more dielectric grease before plugging them in the last time.

I had the recall done on my 2011 some time ago. There's a small square pad that's supposed to be permanently secured to the BCM case using a special glue (epoxy I think, but ...), certain wires removed from the factory harness, then the harness re-secured with a zip-tie to the pad. The pad in my car came loose in less than a week but I've never had my lights turn on or off at the wrong times, so for me this is a moot point.

The problem is with those vehicles who are having the issue again. It's unsafe no matter how you slice it. I've seen only a couple in my area with the lights on while driving on the freeway, only to turn off when they hit the brakes. The real fix that would most certainly be permanent would be to redesign the brake apply sensor (fancy-schmancy, overly complicated replacement for a simple switch) and either replace it with a switch or just add a switch to the system. Brake lights have been turned on and off for decades with simple switches and even if they failed, it was a simple job that anyone could do. Replacing the "sensor" can be done by anyone, but then it has to be taken to the dealership to have the BCM reprogrammed to recognize the new device. This design is poorly conceived because it's entirely possible to have designed it where the BCM would automatically recognize any changes to the "sensor", renewing what they refer to as "homing" each time the key is turned and/or the brake is applied. There are enough other "nanny" nuisance messages that adding another would be fairly easy to do and perfectly acceptable to any owner. It would let the driver know that they need to go through a simple re-learn process, which would be to place the car in Park, acknowledge the message, then step on the brakes a few times (or until the computer said it was happy) in order for the re-learn process to be completed in-situ. But I believe that someone saw an opportunity to make some money in the service department by driving (pun intended) people into the garage when just a little bit more consideration could have been used to make the car able to sort itself out. I know this, that for myself, the more that a device is able to take care of the owner instead of take advantage of them, the better I'll like it and the more I'll sing its praises, which will drive (pun intended again) more folks to their sales floor for more vehicles that are designed better than this.

"Sensor" in quotes above is to indicate that "it" is more like a pair of volume controls hooked up in reverse, one getting "louder" as the brakes are applied, the other getting "quieter". Then the BCM has to compare them, validate them, and then decide whether to turn the lights on or off. This particular design fails the test of time and, therefore, the test of good design.

I'll end my rant now, but I think you get my point.

·
Banned
615 Posts
todays vehicles are costly enough + out of warranty repair costs can be brutal!! its good to see the pro techs as well as customer service reps trying to help. dealers are costly enough + some but not all take advantage of owners that know little. learning on before being taken to the "cleaners" is a great negotiating tool, thanks to all that contribute. i do not own a malibu but my girlfriends 13 + sisters 10 are "under my wing"

·
Super Moderator
728 Posts
todays vehicles are costly enough + out of warranty repair costs can be brutal!! its good to see the pro techs as well as customer service reps trying to help. dealers are costly enough + some but not all take advantage of owners that know little. learning on before being taken to the "cleaners" is a great negotiating tool, thanks to all that contribute. i do not own a malibu but my girlfriends 13 + sisters 10 are "under my wing"
The great thing about this website though is there are a lot of knowledgeable people here that can help steer people in the right direction. If you really think about it, this site could save you thousands of dollars. That's why I got a premium membership since it's saved me quite a bit of money. :D

·
Banned
615 Posts
for sure, whenever i get a different ride which is rare as i keep vehicles a long time + take care of them with the help of the various forums etc available today!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2010 Malibu LTZ 2.4L with 125k miles. I bought it last year with 113k miles on it. Very nice, well taken care of car. Have had no issues out of it thus far, really love the car. Over the past couple weeks, it's began to jerk at random times on the road and the service esc/traction control comes on. I really didn't pay it much attention because it has only done it a couple times and I know how these electronics can be on newer model vehicles. The thing that really snagged my attention was that I was carrying my boy to school a couple days ago and went to pull out from a stop sign and the car died for a minute. Luckily I was able to just turn off of the road into the adjacent parking lot and get out of the way of traffic. Since then, it hasn't done it that bad, but have experienced the random jerking while driving once or twice, but never bad enough either time to make a service esc or traction control light come on. I know one thing, as petty of an issue this is, it very well could (maybe it has already) get someone killed. Any idea where to start looking for problems? I've ready a lot about shabby connections in some of the car's fuse boxes, shorts and such, that once the fuse box was replaced the issue went away. But I'm hesitant to start swapping fuse boxes out unless I could narrow down the problem. Sounds like there are all sorts of potential electrical gremlins. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but lesser so on electrical issues. Sure would be nice if GM had a 100% fix for this as a recall. Kinda ridiculous that they don't, as common as the problem seems from the internet searching I've done.

Any help?

·
Registered
165 Posts
This seems to happen to my car about every 6-9 months. I pull the cover for the BCM thats by the passengers left foot. Take off both BCM connectors, put them back on and the problem is gone again for another 6-9 months. Just seems to be "one of those things" that you figure out and deal with. No big deal.

Don't waste your time taking it in to the dealer. A 5 year old could unplug and plug in the BCM connectors. Just do it and the problem goes away. If you have some dielectric grease, smear a little on. I don't, but still fixes the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I have a issue with dash saying power steering, service ESC, & the brake light on dash is on also & and it won't start! 2010 chevy Malibu if there'sany ideas or solutions please give them

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine done it a few times over the course of a couple weeks and has not done anything weird at all in 2 months now. Very strange.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am getting the Service Traction Control/ECS error as well. I am getting a C0561 code first, then P0014 constantly, also a U2100 code. We replaced the intake and exhaust solenoids as indicated for the P0014 code, to no avail. We then replaced the camshaft sensor, also to no avail. The oil and filter have just been replaced, also we put fresh dielectric grease on all connectors on the BCM, etc. Just not sure where else to look for "fretting" corrosion, or wiring problems. I am resetting the codes as I drive, which quite frankly is a real pain! But I don't like the transmission slamming into gear all the time,or the lack of hybrid operating, along with bad fuel mileage! I really need some help here!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am getting the Service Traction Control/ECS error as well. I am getting a C0561 code first, then P0014 constantly, also a U2100 code. We replaced the intake and exhaust solenoids as indicated for the P0014 code, to no avail. We then replaced the camshaft sensor, also to no avail. The oil and filter have just been replaced, also we put fresh dielectric grease on all connectors on the BCM, etc. Just not sure where else to look for "fretting" corrosion, or wiring problems. I am resetting the codes as I drive, which quite frankly is a real pain! But I don't like the transmission slamming into gear all the time,or the lack of hybrid operating, along with bad fuel mileage! I really need some help here!
Did you get BOTH of the BCM connections? Not sure if its different on a hybrid, but on my car it's tough to see the top BCM connector when you take the access panel off. Also make sure you take both connectors off and put them back on several times each. That will help get rid of any corrosion that is present.

The U2100 I belive is just a communication code, often pops up when other codes get set. Same for the C0651, it's a traction control code that also often gets set when the traction control gets disabled due to another code being set. So the P0014 is probably the root cause of the issue. I had the same codes pop up on both of the motors that have been in my malibu lol. For me replacing the actuators solved the issues both times. If replacing them hasn't solved your problems, I'd pull them back out and see if you see any buildup on the little oil screens on them. Could have been some junk get disloged and clogged up the oil screens. Otherwise, add some dielectric grease to both of the connectors, check that all the O-rings on the actuators are in good shape, and then I'd take a look at your grounds. And lastly if you still have issues, you might have to start checking the wires to the actuators. These cars occasionally have issues with broken wires. Usually it's on the fuel injector wirirng or coil pack wiring. But this is in that same area so it's definitely a possibility to have a broken wire inside the insulation causing intermittent loss of continuity.

Solve the cause of the P0014 and the other two codes should disappear.

·
Administrator
17,987 Posts
And in Gen7, don't forget the "other" BCM connection, visible by removing the cover on the driver's side.

·
Super Moderator
728 Posts
And in Gen7, don't forget the "other" BCM connection, visible by removing the cover on the driver's side.
Yup, the BCM has two sides to it, but the backside is not very obvious. You might end up having to unbolt the BCM in order to get to the other connections.

·
Administrator
17,987 Posts
I’m having trouble with my cluster lights come on but the gauges aren’t working any suggestions??
Just so you won't be forever waiting on a reply, the "Chevy CS" team has not frequented this site in years, and even when they did, it was just boilerplate unhelpful tongue-wagging.

To really help yourself, please read this post and share your vehicle info. That way, our members might be able to help point you in a direction that'll result in an improvement or maybe even a cure.

·
Administrator
17,987 Posts
Year, trim level, engine, trans . . . . . . . . ?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts