Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2013 Malibu and a handyman doing work in the front of the house informed me that my head lights were turning on and off by themselves. (I am not sure about the interval but I was told they would go on, then off and there was no key in the ignition/car was not running).

When I went outside I noticed the doors were unlocked.

(I am locking the doors with the key because the button on my remote is broken but I cannot be 100% sure that I locked the doors using the key, maybe I forgot?)....so would leaving the doors unlocked cause this?

I could not find anything in the manual. I am worried that if I don't solve this issue the battery may drain.

Any input is greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hello, I have a 2013 Malibu and a handyman doing work in the front of the house informed me that my head lights were turning on and off by themselves. (I am not sure about the interval but I was told they would go on, then off and there was no key in the ignition/car was not running).

(I am locking the doors with the key because the button on my remote is broken but I cannot be 100% sure that I locked the doors using the key, maybe I forgot?)....so would leaving the doors unlocked cause this?

I could not find anything in the manual. I am worried that if I don't solve this issue the battery may drain.

You say the button is broken on your FOB but it's also possible it has a flaky connection instead. Could be randomly triggering a button push action which might trigger the lights depending on your settings.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts

PS read bad door switch that is flaking can give you flashing lights and might prevent proper door locking.

·
Registered
189 Posts

Let me use the KISS method on this:

The lights on the Malibu are activated when locked or unlocked.

The touch buttons on my fob are easily activated by little movement against them. If the fob is in your pocket with other keys on the ring, sitting down, sliding in and out of another car, any activity that moves the keys in your pocket, can have another key push just hard enough on a button to activate that action.

If I'm getting into my Cobalt, the lights on the Malibu sometimes go on because the button got pinched and locked or unlocked the Malibu sitting in the garage.

When the Malibu was new, I kept finding the trunk unlocked while sitting in the driveway or in the garage. I asked and the service manager installed the double tap body module that requires two tapes spaced about 1 second apart to unlatch the trunk. ( I knew about it thanks to other posters here on Malibu Forums!) Also, I couldn't be sure at times, but the car had unlocked itself or locked itself.

So your fob has one of the touch keys that has broken free and is out of place. I just replaced a fob that had the lock key completely loose inside. That key seemed to even more easily touch something that made contact.

#########

I'll bet, if you take the fob for the Malibu out of your pocket and leave it on a hook or the counter, your lights won't be flashing on their own.

If you have another set of keys are they in someone else's pocket or purse? Are they bumping other things? Although in a purse, there likely isn't enough pressure against the fob button like there is in a pants pocket where there's limited space and there's tightening and stretching as the wearer sits down.

Good luck. Always assume the simplest answer to a problem first.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone for your replies!!! It was the FOB, the button was jammed and it was going crazy, emitting the signal to continuously unlock the car, that is why the car was unlocked when I went out to check. I had to remove the button by prying it out and it solved the problem.

I could not find the reason for my issue anywhere, but thanks to the input on this forum, I was able to pinpoint the issue..This forum rocks, thank you!

I contacted a locksmith, they want $150 bucks to make a new key and program it. If anyone knows a better/cheaper way to get a new FOB programmed, then please let me know.

Again, a big thanks to all!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thank you everyone for your replies!!! It was the FOB, the button was jammed and it was going crazy, emitting the signal to continuously unlock the car, that is why the car was unlocked when I went out to check. I had to remove the button by prying it out and it solved the problem.

I could not find the reason for my issue anywhere, but thanks to the input on this forum, I was able to pinpoint the issue..This forum rocks, thank you!

I contacted a locksmith, they want $150 bucks to make a new key and program it. If anyone knows a better/cheaper way to get a new FOB programmed, then please let me know.

Again, a big thanks to all!!
Does that price include a new FOB? If so not terrible. If not that is a rip off. Go to your user manual section 2-6 to see very simple instructions which do not justify even paying someone to do it. The only thing you would need from the lock smith is the key cutting. Note I see some key FOB on Amazon for under $20 assuming that is assuming they are good for that price.

·
Registered
189 Posts

I've bought several from this business on Ebay. They will cut the key blade for you if you include the closeup picture of the current blade AND you go to the optional Ebay site to purchase the key cutting service. I have done this 3 times and the keys were perfect.

I also have replaced the FOB only since the buttons get punched in while in my pocket. I purchase the OEM fobs from them rather than aftermarket fobs. I had one aftermarket fob that wouldn't work in my 14 Malibu, so I stayed with the real stuff.

You can puchase the fob with the blank flip out key blade. There are videos showing how to use a fine nail or 1/16" punch to gently drive the pin that holds the blade to the flip out part of the remote. Put your current blade on the new FOB. I just did that last week. Delivery on 4th day from FL to OH.

The key fob is registered to the computer by putting in a good key blade and fob, turning it to ON until the security light goes out, then removing that one and putting in the new FOB and rotating to ON. If the security light stays on long enough to see it, wait for it to go off. Turn the new key OFF. Then turn back to ON and the car should start.

This may be old info, but I believe this can be done up to a total of 10 registered keys, that includes the bad ones. AFter 10, there is a method to reset the whole thing and reregister your current keys.

The

1 - 7 of 7 Posts