1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
307 Posts
I debated telling the dealer to not even put it in. (they asked me lol) but did not want to risk getting pulled over it looks good though

·
Registered
438 Posts
Where do you get the plastic plugs? I want to do this if they drop the front license plate law here in WI, as they're discussing. I also would like some touch up paint as GM never gave me any for free, so I guess I'll have to buy it.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Did this to my LTZ also :D
KURLY, just be careful around LAX, heard that they pull you over for no front plates and sure enough motorcycle cop pulled me over but just gave me a warning since I was from out of town ;)

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Where do you get the plastic plugs? I want to do this if they drop the front license plate law here in WI, as they're discussing. I also would like some touch up paint as GM never gave me any for free, so I guess I'll have to buy it.
They are the plastic push in plugs[or connectors] that secures auto soft trim to ahhh like the covers under the dash that cover up the the wiring and such. I can get you a part # if you want but not until Monday.

Frank

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did this to my LTZ also :D
KURLY, just be careful around LAX, heard that they pull you over for no front plates and sure enough motorcycle cop pulled me over but just gave me a warning since I was from out of town ;)

I don't EVER go around the LAX area. The last 3 cars I've had didn't have a front plate. I've only been stopped once for no front plate and that was by a CHP. Never been stopped by city cops for that. Same with window tint, always been a CHP. Anyway your white bu sure looks nice. I have always liked white. Wish I could've bought a white one but I wanted a V6 and they only had a V6 in the gray or the red.

Frank

·
Registered
493 Posts
Just depends on the cop if they'll hasle you or not about no front plate. It was rumored in Illinois that they might go to having one plate but it never happened and in some areas they are adamant about giving tickets for no front plate. But what would you expect from REVENUE COPS!! Anything to bring in a buck for their district! I still feel they could find something more constructive to do rather than traffic violations!

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish that the front plate was dropped in all states. I see no reason for clutering up the front of my car with a plate!

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
I wish that the front plate was dropped in all states. I see no reason for clutering up the front of my car with a plate!
AGREED. And no reason for the doubled cost, waste, etc. from making 2 plates vs. 1. Plus, mucking up the front fascia of so many cars.

Living in Delaware, we have no fronts thankfully but our '08 Malibu was dealer swapped in from Virginia and a dealer who clearly whipped out the drill & rivets the day the car arrived. Ours knew it was a bad look--especially so on a Malibu, it's so not naturally placed due to the shape--it was removed and they plugged the holes with tiny little flat black push pins. The car is Dark Gray so they figured the black ones were close enough & small enough, no paint was necessary--works great, and you really don't notice them unless up close. The left one is sticking out a bit, but that's not an issue anymore.

Same deal for the G6 I had from Jersey. Then, somehow, my ex Malibu came from Maryland and was the ONLY one on the lot there with no bracket put on yet (goodie...no holes, swapped to Delaware, no problem), and the G8 I bought actually in New Jersey came from a dealer that--finally, for once--despite their state law never installs them until an actual delivery and only if approved/requested by the owner.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
no paint was necessary--works great, and you really don't notice them unless up close. The left one is sticking out a bit, but that's not an issue anymore.

I bought a touchup bottle for my car at the dealer and used it to paint the plugs.It's called Techno Gray. Otherwise known as Dark Gray Met

·
Registered
493 Posts
AGREED. And no reason for the doubled cost, waste, etc. from making 2 plates vs. 1. Plus, mucking up the front fascia of so many cars.
How often do you get replacements? Here in Illinois the plates are supposed to be replaced every five years, so after you get the initial plates and the registration sticker that goes on it you end up paying the same fee each year and get just a registration sticker for your $78.00!!! The sticker probably only costs the state $2.00!!! License plate fees use to be $48.00 for cars and trucks till a few years ago, all because Illinois didn't hold up to replacing plates every five years and there were many cars and trucks running around with unreadable plates, we pay $78.00 each year and more if you have a personalized or vanity plates. The reason for the increase was to pay for all the replacement plates needed in the state, but this was supposed to be already figured in years ago with the cost of registration. Just goes to show Illinois wasted those fees somewhere else and forced everyone to anti up more come renewal time, more government screw ups!

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Still, you're not ahead one way or the other...spend half as much for the production of everything from plates to stickers, then charge half as much OR almost half as much by making one set and pocket the rest.

This was recently discussed on an Edmunds.com long term test blog comment regarding front plates and the generally "nay" attitude against them. Everyone pretty much universally agreed, with the exception of one poster from Texas who said a very high percentage of crime occurs in cars, the front plate helps cops/people a lot in spotting the offender, etc. Maybe, in this 1 out of xxxx case, for sure. But otherwise, added cost, added piece that has to be made for the cars by law, etc., etc. The argument goes either way, but there are more reasons to get rid of them than keep them. Overkill comes to mind, a LOT. Rears are natural, fronts are excess. Well, IMHO;)

I bought a touchup bottle for my car at the dealer and used it to paint the plugs.It's called Techno Gray. Otherwise known as Dark Gray Met
For sure. Still, on this car--aside from my picture, they're so small, actually match so closely as it is...we've yet to touch them further. The dealer painted them for the white G6 I had, because they had to use larger ones, the car was white, etc., but otherwise not a biggie on this car. Your bigger ones look great painted, however;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
So are the factory push style pin also? getting ready to take mine off and dont want to tear it up if they have to be drilled out. thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wondered what could be done if you did not want the front bracket. Looks good. I'm in NC and we do not have front plates but the local dealer has them on EVERY SINGLE MALIBU. Why? Might wind up going 50 some miles west to get one without it.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So are the factory push style pin also? getting ready to take mine off and dont want to tear it up if they have to be drilled out. thanks
My plate holder was riveted on the car. I knocked out the pieces of rivets with a center punch then drilled out the rivet flanges. Easy,easy. The holder falls off and no paint scratches or chips.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
I wondered what could be done if you did not want the front bracket. Looks good. I'm in NC and we do not have front plates but the local dealer has them on EVERY SINGLE MALIBU. Why? Might wind up going 50 some miles west to get one without it.
Don't you love those dealers? Crazy to some people, but I'd avoid one who did that too, just on stupidity principal, in a state that doesn't require them. But they certainly make sure to put a dealer ad tag on the front then, don't they? Argh.

We have no GM dealers around here who do it, but a couple of Ford places do...right off the truck, out comes a prep guy with a drill and the rivet gun and before you can say no, presto, there comes holes in the fascia, an ugly bracket, and an even tackier dealer ad plate on that...Focus or Lincoln crossover, no matter, they do it.

Again, it's not such a big deal on some cars overall...but the Malibu is one of those with a fascia design that no front plate bracket works with, at all. It doesn't fit or look fitting at all. Here was ours, first dealer swapped in and then after the prep guys drilled the rivets out, threw the bracket away, and popped in little push pins to fill the holes.

Before:

After:

My plate holder was riveted on the car. I knocked out the pieces of rivets with a center punch then drilled out the rivet flanges. Easy,easy. The holder falls off and no paint scratches or chips.
Correct. With the bracket from the factory is a little bag with the rivets in it, and from there they have to drill small holes, hold the bracket in place, and then pop in the rivets with a gun...not hard to remove, typically, but the holes are unavoidable.

Clearly, I despise front plate brackets (or just the plates period) like nothing else...;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.