Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I have the 2018 Malibu Redline, LT has the 1.5. I have driver confidence package, I have the pedestrian detection, forward collision alert, etc, just don’t have adaptive cruise control. My question is, with the pedestrian and forward collision alerts, do I just have the alert or do I also have braking with it? I have the windshield radar sensor but not the secondary grille sensor. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,297 Posts
Well... one way to test it is buy one of those inflatable weeblewobbles or children's punching bag things and see if the car prevents you from hitting it at 10 mph.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,002 Posts
I guess I'll just post right behind cp today as he bumps threads up the list.

I think it is supposed to alert and brake for you in certain situations. GM thinks it might, or might not. It is actually pretty funny. Basically, it should brake for you under the right conditions. But GM doesn't want to promise anything.

From the ordering guide:
Driver Confidence Package, includes (UHY) low-speed forward automatic braking, (UKJ) front pedestrian braking, (TQ5) IntelliBeam, automatic high-beam headlamps, (UD5) Front and Rear Park Assist, (UKC) Side Blind Zone Alert with Lane Change Alert, (UHX) Lane Keep Assist, (UE4) Following Distance Indicator, (UEU) Forward Collision Alert and (UFG) Rear Cross-Traffic Alert
From the manual:
Front Pedestrian Braking (FPB) System
FPB displays a pedestrian ahead indicator when a nearby pedestrian is detected directly ahead. When approaching a detected pedestrian too quickly, FPB provides a red flashing alert on the windshield and rapidly beeps. FPB can provide a boost to braking or automatically brake the vehicle.

The FPB system can detect and alert to pedestrians in a forward gear at speeds between 8 km/h (5 mph) and 80 km/h (50 mph).

FPB does not provide an alert or automatically brake the vehicle, unless it detects a pedestrian. FPB may not detect pedestrians, including children:
  • When the pedestrian is not directly ahead, fully visible, or standing upright, or when part of a group
  • Due to poor visibility, including nighttime conditions, fog, rain, or snow.
  • If the FPB sensor is blocked by dirt, snow, or ice.
  • If the headlamps or windshield are not cleaned or in proper condition.

Be ready to take action and apply the brakes.

Now that's a lot of "mays" and "ifs"! I'd test it with cp's blow up doll and share video.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I'll just post right behind cp today as he bumps threads up the list.

I think it is supposed to alert and brake for you in certain situations. GM thinks it might, or might not. It is actually pretty funny. Basically, it should brake for you under the right conditions. But GM doesn't want to promise anything.

From the ordering guide:

From the manual:

Now that's a lot of "mays" and "ifs"! I'd test it with cp's blow up doll.
Thank you for the links/info! I’ve read the manual a few times and had a good understanding of it but heard on other websites that if you didn’t have ACC it would just be an alert and not braking but couldn’t find anything else on it. Because I have Driver Confidence package, I feel like it’s there or it isn’t but the secondary sensor (that I don’t have) would make sense on more accurate braking. The blowup doll will be here 3/13 so I shall update lol. This is going to be funny

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
Wait until it slams the brakes on when you pass a vehicle that's turning into a side street or driveway.
You will not think so highly of it.
I have all that and more in my '20 Traverse High Country and all if it's turned off. At least the braking turns off but not the light and beep.

Reactions: campb292

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,297 Posts
I have alert sensors but not auto braking on my SS. 90% of the time it just startles the piss out of me over nothing, like driving by a car parked on the side of the road in a neighborhood. If it had automatic braking, I would need fresh undies.

Reactions: campb292

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Sorry about the late update, the blowup doll was damaged in transit and automatically sent back to Amazon and got tied up in work and just ordered the new one a few days and did the test today. Judy the doll took a mean fall in the first video after being alive for only 15 minutes. I didn't even have enough time to take my foot off the accelerator in the second video. It was fun.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,297 Posts
@Malibu2LZ you just became my favorite person on the forum. That is so hilarious! Great demo of auto-braking, too!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Malibu2LZ you just became my favorite person on the forum. That is so hilarious! Great demo of auto-braking, too!
hahaha thank you! Judy received 4-6 head injuries and is in the hospital now, once she recovers our Next adventure is keeping Judy in the passenger seat for HOV access

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,006 Posts
Does she pay her own tickets? :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts