Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 LT2 that has minor but clearly audible knocking sound coming from the front suspension strut area. The noise is very noticable at slow speeds on washboard type roads. I took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't replicate the problem. Does anyone else have similar problems. I plan on taking the service tech for a ride to demo the problem!

·
Registered
100 Posts
yes i have the same problem, it's be very cold here and it seems to be worse when it gets colder. I'm taking mine back to the dealer monday to have it looked at. It seems that Aura's have the same problem and also the g6's. you can find out more by checking out their respective forums for this problem.
I've got just under 10,000 on mine. Also my ESC comes on sometimes when i turn right at slow speeds, regardless of road conditions.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the same problem with my HHR. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the sway bar bushings and changed out the sway bar links. So far, the noise has gone away. They did say that on the HHR, this is a problem that they blame on the suspension design. :confused:

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
On the Epsilon platform cars, it seems to be a strut thing...and very much so, some do, some don't, though those that do are most often reported when it's cold. The Aura guys have discussed it in much detail, to varied degrees of results.

Our '08 refuses to make any noise (struts or elsewhere) after 12k miles and a year, but sometimes--not always--when it is really cold I hear the light clunking from the front end of my '09 over bumps. Not really even noticeable to bother with, as cold does a lot of things to a car, but still. The '07 Malibu rental I had for a month had a nasty clunk-clunk-clunk over bumps from the driver's side that was, again, the strut pretty clearly.

Here's some pretty recent Aura threads, including the first where one just had parts replaced...but still has an issue:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132707
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132835
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122605

And others...just search their forum for clunk/strut/rattle, etc. They have some more time under their belt with the Aura than we do, so often they have a little more detail on common issues.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a 2009 LT2 that has minor but clearly audible knocking sound coming from the front suspension strut area. The noise is very noticable at slow speeds on washboard type roads. I took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't replicate the problem. Does anyone else have similar problems. I plan on taking the service tech for a ride to demo the problem!
that is exactly what i have been experiencing, im reading what beach has posted, and im taking it in on Wednesday to have it looked at. at first, i thought it was the steering column, but now im thinking it might be the strut... ill have to do some investigating.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'll post what they find as soon as i get back from the dealer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ok for the front end noise they installed a lube kit and repositioned the i shaft.(This is what they have been doing for some of the Saturn owners with this problem) For the ESC coming on during a right hand turn, they reflashed the EBCM and for the brake pedal noise they replaced the master cylinder reservoir and replaced the brake fluid. All good now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is a top mount problem...it has been replicated at Milford Proving Grounds and the engineers at VEC are working on it without a proven fix yet. This is occurring on my 09 LTZ - apparently the only "solution" at this point is to have the top mounts swapped out. (the top mount is the large rubber circular piece at the top of the strut tower) Engineering knows of the problem - happens at low speed / cold temperatures.

·
Registered
489 Posts
GM has been plagued by this for years. This was a common problem on the Grand Am's and Alero's. I believe it's the strut mount bushings (Bearings?) causing the issue. You would think after 10 years GM would figure something out.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've also been having this problem but it doesnt bother me as much, are there any negative effects besides the noise if i dont take it in to the dealer to fix the problem?

·
Registered
11 Posts
My is really bad when pulling in and out of parking spots and making hard turns. It also did it in the cold but now it's warm here so I'm sure the dealer will not find anything wrong.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sorry to bring this back, but does anyone have a TSB # for this issue? Mine seems to be making a clunking sound at low speeds over some wavy roads, but I don't want to take it in if theres no fix for it (or if they're just going to have to keep replacing mounts). Its coming from the left front.

Thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah me too, but only when the temp is below about 40.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I brought my 09 LTZ in a couple of weeks ago. Of course, dealer says "could not duplicate", so I took him for a ride in his back lot. Replicated the noise, he says "I will investigate and call you"....still waiting for that call. I need to contact the GM ride engineer that I know.....I will post with the latest news.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have the same problem and you can hear it clearly below 20 m/h almost all the time I hit an imperfection or joint. It is like the car have 200,000 miles on the clock. The car will be at the dealer Thursday for this specific problem and also for the heater (noisy at low speed), a rattle from the rear dome light and for the rear valence (not flush with the bumper at both ends with more than half inch gap).

·
Registered
472 Posts
It is probably the front stabilizer bar bushings. Nothing wrong with them they just make noise when cold. A little lithium grease inside the bushings may quiet them down.

Bill

·
Registered
192 Posts
The funny thing is that it makes the noise on the way out of my driveway but not on return. I wouldn't think that there would be that much heat transferred to the suspension that it would make the noise go away.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Went to the dealer this morning and they changed both front struts and did a new alignment. The noise is not there anymore.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.