Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my 17 malibu 1.5 has 110,000 miles and im wondering if its a good idea to use some kind of fuel injector cleaner. I only use midgrade gas and im worried about carbon build up which is why im asking this, if anyone uses any kind of additive which one do you recommend?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,517 Posts
Fuel additive won't help with carbon on intake valves if that is the primary concern. Fuel additive like Techron (beyond what is already in Chevron fuel or alternatives already in Top Tier fuel) will help clean injectors, combustion chamber, tips of spark plugs to some degree. I run a bottle of concentrate through every few oil changes which is about 15,000 miles apart. No idea if it has been doing anything as I always make sure to use Top Tier licensed fuel. I always use Costco, Shell, or Mobil fuel and Mobil1 oil.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,908 Posts
I run a can of Berryman B12 every couple of months. ;)
You have port injection, so it'll clean the backs of the intake valves. OP has DI. No can do.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,499 Posts
I use CRC GDI IVD® Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner, 11 Wt Oz
every 20K miles for the carbon concerns. Follow direction and spay it in the intake tube after you take the air filter off. After that procedure clean the maf sensor.
The instructions tell you to spray past the MAF sensor with the straw. If you have to clean the MAF afterward, you've done it wrong. Also, it is vastly preferable not to spray this through the turbo. The cleaner tends to pool in the dips and bends in the elaborate tubing and that's not what you want.

Ideally, you want to spray directly into the throttle opening. Both myself and at least one other member have thrown around the idea of making a small resealable hole in the intake tube that bypasses the turbo and also resolves the issue of throwing fault codes during cleaning.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,499 Posts
Clean the MAF sensor as I suggested if any of the cleaner got on the sensor by accident or back spray. But cleaning the sensor is alway good.
If the intake is pulling air and the nozzle is a couple inches beyond the MAF, back spray isn't an issue. Cleaning the MAF that frequently is fine, I guess, but it's fragile and I wouldn't clean it more than necessary.

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
If your using paper air filters and not oiled aftermarket junk then cleaning the MAF is a every 30k mile job when changing the paper filter.

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Registered
2015 Chevrolet Malibu LT 1LT, 2.5L DOHC Ecotec, 6-speed Auto
10 Posts
As long as you are using Top Tier fuels, your carbon buildup on the intake valves will be minimal. It is also important to keep your oil changed, well before the oil life indicator tells you to change the oil. Even with full synthetic oil, you should probably have it changed every 5 months or 5,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Running fuel system cleaners actually causes additional wear and damage to the fuel pump and the injectors, especially if used excessively, as they are solvent based. There is no in line fuel filter on newer Malibu models, as the fuel filter replacement interval is not listed in the maintenance schedule. This is why it is important to use ONLY fuels rated as "Top Tier".

As far as running mid-grade fuel, this will not lead to carbon buildup on the valves or inside the cylinders, in any different fashion, than running the recommended premium octane fuel. Octane rating on fuel only applies to its resistance to detonation.

Because you have a turbo engine, you should be running premium fuel. Using lower octane fuel will cause you to lose both performance and fuel economy, since the PCM retards spark advance to prevent detonation in the cylinders. This will also increase your emissions, since the fuel isn't being completely burned off on the combustion stroke. So, any savings(usually about $.40/gallon) on using lower octane fuel is offset by the loss of optimum fuel economy and more frequent fill ups.

As far as cleaning the intake valves, do not perform this service until it is absolutely needed on the car. Rondo it the right way, it is actually a labor-tntensive process and quite costly. In the case of intake valve cleaning, as it will eventually need done because of the direct injection design of the engine, it is as the old addage goes: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
how does Top Tier fuel clean the intake valves in a GDI engine when the fuel doesn't make contact with those valves???...:unsure:

I agree that you should use the proper octane recommended for your engine as well as the proper oil to help reduce LSPI...

good luck with your car

Bill

·
Registered
2015 Chevrolet Malibu LT 1LT, 2.5L DOHC Ecotec, 6-speed Auto
10 Posts
Top Tier fuels reduce carbon buildup from the combustion process, as they have increased additives. The detergents help keep the fuel system clean and corrosion free, which is almost a necessary evil now because of the ethanol blends in today's fuels.

They do not spray over the valve surfaces, like a port injected engine does, which is why you gotta keep the oil changed regularly, ESPECIALLY with turbo engines because they run hotter and that breaks down the detergents and additives in the oil much quicker than a naturally aspirated engine will.

I have read that installing an oil catch can in the line to the PCV system can further reduce the likelihood of carbon deposits building up on the intake valves, but I am not sold on that idea, and the catch can is just another maintenance item to add to the list as they eventually fill up with dirty oil and need to be emptied.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,517 Posts
how does Top Tier fuel clean the intake valves in a GDI engine when the fuel doesn't make contact with those valves???...
It doesn't clean; it helps prevent. Top tier fuel and dexos1 oil are part of how buildup is reduced to begin with. Combine that with the engineering decision to include a catch can with the gen9 1.5 and 2.0 and you have a non-issue if maintained properly. I've scoped my intake ports and had barely anything there. I always use Top Tier fuel and change oil every 5,000. At 115,000 miles engine idles smooth, fuel economy is still a bit over EPA estimate, no problems at all.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
As long as you are using Top Tier fuels, your carbon buildup on the intake valves will be minimal. It is also important to keep your oil changed, well before the oil life indicator tells you to change the oil. Even with full synthetic oil, you should probably have it changed every 5 months or 5,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
sorry...I meant to have my question attached to part of FieroGT's post about Top Tier fuel cleaning carbon buildup on the intake valves since it never touches the intake valves...

I do appreciate your responses guys...

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Top Tier fuels reduce carbon buildup from the combustion process, as they have increased additives. The detergents help keep the fuel system clean and corrosion free, which is almost a necessary evil now because of the ethanol blends in today's fuels.

They do not spray over the valve surfaces, like a port injected engine does, which is why you gotta keep the oil changed regularly, ESPECIALLY with turbo engines because they run hotter and that breaks down the detergents and additives in the oil much quicker than a naturally aspirated engine will.

I have read that installing an oil catch can in the line to the PCV system can further reduce the likelihood of carbon deposits building up on the intake valves, but I am not sold on that idea, and the catch can is just another maintenance item to add to the list as they eventually fill up with dirty oil and need to be emptied.
I've put a catch can on my 3.6 Equinox, 2 min. job to drain it at every oil change. Not a 2 min. job to clean intake valves.
Nothing is Maintenace free, even the human body needs regular ''Maintenace''.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts