Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Malibu Maxx LT and am having a difficult time getting it started. It chugs and is sluggish before it turns over. I have found fuel filters "for this model" but can't find anywhere online that indicates where the fuel filter actually is. Some information leads to believe there is no fuel filter. Y'all, tell me what you think.

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,023 Posts
It's in the tank, part of the fuel pump and float level assembly.

· Premium Member
3,445 Posts
Try turning the key to run, wait a few seconds then turn it off then back to run and pause then try cranking it up. If it starts fine that is a sign that the fuel pump valve is not holding fuel line pressure when parked. That is one test, see what it does then report back.

· Premium Member
3,445 Posts
Ok let's clarify the online descriptions of what's going on. Cranking is like turning over, trying to start. Firing up is running after cranking.
I'm assuming it is cranking normally and once it fires up it is chugging then smoothing out. If so, trying starting it with the gas pedal all the way to the floor and see if it fires up better.
This is also assuming there is no check engine light on when it's running.

· Registered
64 Posts
So, it's chugging while cranking. Lots of hesitation before the engine fires up. And no check engine light. Tune up was 3 days ago and the K&N air filter is clean.
Try some injector cleaner? Might be that an injector is sticking open and flooding it? I'm using some Gumout cleaner due to minor issues with starting after running a while...3.1L. Some people reviewing Gumout say they think they might be getting better mpg after using it. Might even pay for itself. 😎 There is a chapter in the Bible on the miracles of chemical additives...👽

Might check the vac lines?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New development: last night the check engine light came on. Went to AutoZone to get the code(s) and it came back as the sensor on top of the fuel pump. Ran a quick errand and now the engine won't even crank. It's sitting in a Target parking lot.

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,023 Posts
It could be wiring that has been worn or damaged over time, or a plug that has corroded or become disconnected (wholly or partially), or a failed part inside.

It's gonna take a live inspection and some testing to figure it out.

A light or a code does not necessarily mean that a component is bad or needs replaced. It signals an issue with the system that monitors the component.

· Registered
98 Posts
In the trunk on the left pull the padding back look close by the trunk hinge for rub through on the wiring. Also check fuses and relay. After that check the grounds , wiring and plug terminals making sure the green meanies didn’t get in and start to corrode the wiring or terminal plugs. You will need a wiring schematic. If you are in the US go to the library get on their computer ask a librarian to help you sign on to Michael Pro. Put your vin in. You will get those wires colors, grounds locations, volts on the wires, you are checking. Your phone can help. You to remember.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts