Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gas gauge is weird supposedly the car holds 11 gallons. I filled up on Thursday night the needle rite above E and it only took 7 gallons before it was full. If I still had 4ish gallons why was the needle even close to E? Is this the “known” issue with these cars or is their a massive reserve tank? Or is The gauge just messed up? I have also noticed I can’t get more than 24mpg but my “best” is 38.. it’s funny and doesn’t seem accurate at all.. The last car I owned a 07 cobalt had fuel gauge issues also I would start the car and it would read empty until I drove 10-15 mins or turned the car off and back on then it would read properly.. Not really looking forward to these types of issues again.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,301 Posts
What year/model do you have? No gen9 Malibu has an 11 gallon tank.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,301 Posts
They specify the 17 LT at 13 gallons. There are lots of fueling oddities with the early gen9. Just guessing, I'd say you might be experiencing inconsistent fill. A few members have gone through filling and draining the tank to verify capacity from premature fuel pump shutoff. Another member had the tank drained when the low fuel light activated and found 1.7 gallons remaining (post here). I had problems with inconsistent fill and before fixing it they took it to fill up then drained the tank and measured 11.5 gallons. Mine was proven as not filling to 13 every time so it got fixed. When the low fuel light and message activate I would guess 1.5-2 usable gallons remaining with a hidden extra gallon to keep the pump wet.

As for mpg, that depends on a lot of factors. Outside temp, miles driven, type of driving, speed, wind, weight, so many factors. Basically, the "last 450" should be around 30 mpg for mixed city/highway. Anything from 27-33 would be similar to other reports for 50/50 mix driving. More highway, higher averages, more city, lower.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drive total of 4 miles round trip to work and home. With speed of no more than 40mph it’s all city so I have a few stops and starts which is probably why the lower end. The inconsistent fuel reading is annoying to say the least. Damn shame something as simple as a gauge that’s been used for last hundred years still can’t seem to get it rite lol. Thanks for info.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The short drive cycle is certainly the reason for the low mpg, the engine is not reaching its peak/efficient operating temperature in such a short drive. I would utilize a short oil change interval, 5k max or 1 year, if that was my daily drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.