Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i ordered a new head unit for my 17 malibu. Im supposed to get it on Thursday and can not wait to install it. Hoping it will be easier than I am expecting. At least the removal is easy i just hope the wiring is as simple as they say. I will update when I have it and install it. I hope you guys like it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also everything works, backup camera works, door chimes, even the steering wheel control. It alerts on the display for ajar doors and lots of other things. Its Chinese and took a while to arrive, but i definitely like it. Also WAY louder than the stock unit

·
Registered
33 Posts
Also everything works, backup camera works, door chimes, even the steering wheel control. It alerts on the display for ajar doors and lots of other things. Its Chinese and took a while to arrive, but i definitely like it. Also WAY louder than the stock unit
What about CarPlay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have android so I dont know. It had a specific add on to include it, but aside from calls the stereo is doing everything independently. I kust drove it around for a bit to test some things and noticed some quirks, the music stops when using the backup cam, I dont think onstar works but I dont use that garbage anyway. Also the onstar menu you get if you hit the voice button before Bluetooth connects, all that is obviously gone. But I am overall very pleased.

Edit. For some reason pressing down twice on the down arrow (right steering wheel button cluster) mutes the audio, again minor inconvenience. There is a button mapping app on it but I haven't played with it

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,672 Posts
According to the spec page on the link above, this unit includes carplay support. It looks pretty nice to me. Well done.

·
Registered
2017 Malibu Hybrid
21 Posts
Did you happen to compare it to this one.

I had not seen yours before. I've been debating on whether to get this one. Just wondering if you considered it and if so, what made you choose yours?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did compare them. I wasn't the biggest fan of all touchscreen, though honestly the buttons on the one I got aren't the most useful, the one i bought at first glance looks horrifying to wire, but if you've ever done it before it soon becomes a bit easier. The biggest issue with install is there are no instructions (Chinese made) but it is essentially "plug and play" there are a few of ut could go here or here but I managed to do it right first go.

Also new issue I've discovered, it doesn't play music automatically when you start the car, you have to select the radio or in my case Spotify to open.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had the lt model 7inch mylink. I honestly have no idea about the hybrid stuff, if its taken care of from a menu on the radio I would have to say no, but if its just like fuel economy and stuff again I don't know but it could work. It displays the air conditioning fan speed settings (although for some reason in Celcius and not Fahrenheit)

Also the radio you posted the android version is listed as 4.4.4 the one i ordered was android 9

·
Banned
11 Posts
I had the lt model 7inch mylink. I honestly have no idea about the hybrid stuff, if its taken care of from a menu on the radio I would have to say no, but if its just like fuel economy and stuff again I don't know but it could work. It displays the air conditioning fan speed settings (although for some reason in Celcius and not Fahrenheit)

Also the radio you posted the android version is listed as 4.4.4 the one i ordered was android 9
Any updates? And other than the plug-n-play part what exactly did you have to wire up?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No additional wiring. Just the harness it comes with. There was zero cutting wires. Its still being a little strange. But i still overall like it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
No additional wiring. Just the harness it comes with. There was zero cutting wires. Its still being a little strange. But i still overall like it.
Please share some of the quirks and issues you may have with it, so that those of us who may be interested in the unit, have prior knowledge.
Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They're pretty much all mentioned through my posts. But if you want a list....

Temp stuck in Celsius not Fahrenheit
Next and back buttons on steering wheel stopped working
Audio cuts off while reverse camera is on
Audio (spotify) continues song progress while on a call. You don't hear the song but it doesnt pause
It doesn't auto play audio when you start the car you have to open whatever app you want to use
I think that's it. Probably a few small ones but thats the majority of it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Did you happen to compare it to this one.

I had not seen yours before. I've been debating on whether to get this one. Just wondering if you considered it and if so, what made you choose yours?
Just watched the YouTube video nothing loads up quick lol probably not a good one compared to belsee

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just wish they had a way to use the newer mylink 3 on the 2019/2020 8inch to the 2018 model I would be extremely happy with that

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just wish they had a way to use the newer mylink 3 on the 2019/2020 8inch to the 2018 model I would be extremely happy with that
I had a 2019 Silverado 1500 as a loaner with that version 3 and truthfully It was pretty lousy and slow. I like the Version 2 for the speed and WMA lossless support.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts