Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new spare tire of the same size of the current rim and tires 215/55/R17 but it doesnt fit quite well in the trunk space. The cover is all wobbly. Any ideas on custom made trunk covers for the spare tire?

Car: Malibu 2010 LT.

Regards,
Victor Gonzalez

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,984 Posts
@VictorGonzalez
Your post was moved from a thread in the Gen8 section. Your 2010 is considered a Gen7.

I have a temporary spare in my 2011 and it seems to have plenty of room above the wheel, enough that the cover sags slightly. I have not tested it yet with a full-size tire, but it looks to me like the spare tire well is just big enough for the T-size, making the full-size ride higher.

Recently I had a flat repaired and they wanted to replace the tire. I offered to go to one of their other shops where they had one so they put the T-size on my front left. When they tried to get the car off the lift it wouldn't go, but that's because it's lowered 1.4", so I guess I'll have to see about getting a full-size spare. I'll definitely test fit the spare in the wheel well before I finalize the purchase.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hopefully it's been long enough that it won't seem like i'm trying to hijack this thread.

See, not too long ago I had to use my spare and it doesn't do too well on the front. Apparently the transmission has trouble with it on, I would guess it's the extreme size difference between the full size on one side and the small donut spare on the other. I'd like to get a full size spare to eliminate this problem in the event I have to use my spare again.

Anyway, putting a full size spare in the trunk. Will a full size, or almost full size wheel and tire fit in the space for the donut spare tire? Diameter wise that is. From what Victor said above it sounds like the rim he used may be a hair too tall, but finding a somewhat narrow wheel to mount a spare on could solve that issue.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
I drove 125 miles on my donut on the front at 65 mph with no issues other than the TPMS on. No need to load up the trunk with a full size IMO unless your trekking across the Gobi desert.....

·
Registered
216 Posts
I drove 125 miles on my donut on the front at 65 mph with no issues other than the TPMS on. No need to load up the trunk with a full size IMO unless your trekking across the Gobi desert.....
When I used my donut on the front every time I would accelerate from a stop I would get a a grinding sound, almost sounded like gears slipping against each other. That and for some reason it seemed to be limited to about 30 to 35mph. I had to feather the throttle as lightly as possible to keep the grinding noise to a minimum and I ended up driving like a 90 year old lady. I guess it's possible I have a transmission issue that only surfaces when the spare is on the front. But for safety reasons I think it would be wise to keep a larger spare in the trunk that would hopefully prevent those problems.

And I don't want to "load up the trunk", I was wanting to know what can fit in the recess that's already there for the donut.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts