Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: I have a 1999 Malibu 3.1L. Runs great, all gauges, windows etc. works, no check engine light is on. Fuel pump works. I will be driving and everything shuts down, engine, gauges everything except the radio. Stop put it in park starts right up and you can go again till it does it again. It has done it on bumpy roads, smooth roads, while turning, no real constant repeat, just randomly. Hopefully someone can help. Also i checked and cleaned battery terminals, all good :)

· Registered
12 Posts
Everything except the radio? did you have an a an aftermarket stereo installed? maybe something is going on with a ground? I have a 99 now and it does some goofy stuff like that. Mine is something to do with the negative ground off the battery I am guessing. Hit a bump and poof car shuts off...Sometimes when you go to turn the key everything gets ready and when you go from ACC to START it dies - no juice to anything.

· CMF Veteran Member
1,413 Posts
:confused: I have a 1999 Malibu 3.1L. Runs great, all gauges, windows etc. works, no check engine light is on. Fuel pump works. I will be driving and everything shuts down, engine, gauges everything except the radio. Stop put it in park starts right up and you can go again till it does it again. It has done it on bumpy roads, smooth roads, while turning, no real constant repeat, just randomly. Hopefully someone can help. Also i checked and cleaned battery terminals, all good :)
If the instrument cluster went dark as if you turned the key to ACC, it could be a worn ignition switch. The ignition switch has to maintain a positive ON voltage to the PCM. Try turning the key slowly and see what the range of the ON position is. There may be a dead spot between ON and START.

On the other hand, if the instrument cluster lit up with warning lights, it gets complicated.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, problem solved, not sure which thing i did fixed it but it stopped doing it. I do have the stock radio, no tail light issue. I removed the battery cables and cleaned both ends and reinstalled them. the fuse/relay box in the engine compartment was really loose so i took it out and cleaned all that and put it back. then cleaned the alternator connections. put 175 miles on it since no problems yet. I appreciate all the help. i'll start a new thread about the next issue once i look at the car a little more. I have had it for three days :) still learning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.