Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 2015 Malibu lt2 and my fuse keeps blowing out. Do anybody have pointers to stop the problem or I'll just take it to the dealership.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,490 Posts
Sounds dumb, I know, but check the size of the fuse to be sure it's what should be in there.

If you're comfortable using a VOM (volt-ohm meter), pull the fuse and insert the meter's leads into the fuse terminals, setting it on Amps at its highest setting (usually around 10A), then have someone energize the trunk release. If it's abnormally high then you have a bad solenoid or the wiring has a short somewhere.

You can also check the wiring harness where it crosses over from the body to the lid and see if it's chafing somewhere. Also check where it connects to the solenoid to see if there are any issues or a bad connection, which can draw more amps than normal.

Next, pull the plug off the solenoid and energize the release to see if it still draws too many amps or if that "cures" it. If so, the solenoid or the connection is the issue. Check the plug for signs of overheating or damage that may have distorted its shape.

And don't forget to Rock On!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if you were able to solve the problem as your post was from November of last year. I had the same problem. 2015 Malibu LT. Intermittent, but the fuse would blow every couple of months but now more frequent. Was driving me crazy. I put the amp meter on the circuit at the fuse box as described by Driven Daily above. Found that it was drawing anywhere from 6-12 amps on a 5 amp circuit (different each time I pressed the key fob). Wiring was good so I ordered a new trunk solenoid/latch ($20 on Amazon) replaced it today and all good. Now drawing 1.6 amps consistently so that is perfect for a 5 amp circuit. Hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Bigger fuse if needed...but previous posts as noted before, - and a little sanding towards the south end...like any car....always helps to make the end resultants be happy....CPS

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having a similar problem just wondering if anybody found an answer. All of a sudden my trunk fuse kept blowing and the trunk just kept popping open.

·
Administrator
18,490 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds dumb, I know, but check the size of the fuse to be sure it's what should be in there.

If you're comfortable using a VOM (volt-ohm meter), pull the fuse and insert the meter's leads into the fuse terminals, setting it on Amps at its highest setting (usually around 10A), then have someone energize the trunk release. If it's abnormally high then you have a bad solenoid or the wiring has a short somewhere.

You can also check the wiring harness where it crosses over from the body to the lid and see if it's chafing somewhere. Also check where it connects to the solenoid to see if there are any issues or a bad connection, which can draw more amps than normal.

Next, pull the plug off the solenoid and energize the release to see if it still draws too many amps or if that "cures" it. If so, the solenoid or the connection is the issue. Check the plug for signs of overheating or damage that may have distorted its shape.

And don't forget to Rock On!
I had the same problem. My trunk worked fine the first two years then all of a sudden it didn't. There was a 5 Amp fuse so I went out and bought 5 Amp fuses. I would pop the trunk maybe twice and it would blow again. One day I needed to get into the trunk to get my sister's walker but I was out of fuses. I put in a 7.5 Amp about 2 months ago and it's been working like a champ.

·
Administrator
18,490 Posts
The correct size fuse is noted on the cover. It should be a 10A fuse. It's #22. There are 4 in a row between 2 relays at the bottom right. It's the red 10A on the left.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts