Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Fusible link

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Darthz 
#1 ·
Hello all! I’m replacing the fusible link in my 1998 Malibu 3.1 v6 and I’m noticing that the wire coming from the car is thicker then the connector at the end of the fusible link. Is there some type of quick connect adapter I can get for it or can I remove the connector on the fusible link and add a larger connector
Part # 85620 dorman fusible link.

#2 ·
Since all you'll be cutting of the wire is about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch, you should be safe to cut the new connector off the new fusible link and crimp a new one on.

#3 ·
So I got the new fusible link attached and the car is doing the same thing. It will start with a jump but it throws a battery light, the gauges stop working and it dies out in about a minute. Any other suggestions on what to do. The alternator and starter and battery have all been replaced !

#4 ·
Something ain't right for sure!

You'll need to start tracing wires to be sure that they're all in good shape and connected to the right places. The grounds need to be clean on both ends as well. Any missing grounds need to be replaced. At the very minimum, you need a ground from battery to body, from battery to engine, and engine to body. All connections need to be clean and tight.

The alternator could be DOA. It needs to be tested to know for sure that it works as it should. If it tests good, then the car is having the issue.

I'm not sure that the 1998 uses an alternator that is controlled by the BCM, so that means that the voltage regulator is inside the alternator.

You could also have a bad or intermittent key switch that isn't turning on the right circuits. Check all fuses and relays to ensure that they not only work right, but work at the right times as well.

#5 ·
It starts with a jump, tells me the battery is shot. Could be a bad cell.... cracked terminal? Is it a sealed battery or can you pop the tops off and confirm the water is covering the plates. . Was the an abnormal amount of corossion on the terminals.... this can indicate that.

Unless you have them grounding issues Repairman is saying. ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.