Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Chevy Malibu 1.5L LT
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i’m new to the forum. The other day I went and got gas in the wife’s car for her. I filled it up quite a bit like I usually do I had .50 cents off so I filled it up quite a bit where you could see it in the filler neck. Drove it back home about 5 mins away and parked is for the night. Well here it is 4 days later and about 235 miles later and the gas gauge hasn’t moved any she said. But she has said the miles till empty has gone down some how much i’m not sure I have yet to get to drive it. What could it be?? There is no check engine light and car is running fine.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,580 Posts
The 2016 Malibu came in two gas tank "sizes." The 1.5T models were listed at something like 13 gallons while the 2.0T models were listed at around 16 gallons. In reality, the 1.5T model had the same 16 gallon gas tank with a modification that cut off early when you fill it up.

It's possible that when you filled it all the way to the top, the gas gauge is just taking a lot longer to register below what it thinks is full. Now 235 miles is quite a long distance not to see any change even with around 3 extra gallons of gas, so keep an eye on it. If it still shows full at 300 miles, something is wrong.

The "miles to empty" number is practically useless. It's based on your recent fuel economy, so if you've been driving around town it will plummet dramatically, but spend 20 minutes on the highway and it will rocket back up. Take it with a grain of salt.

·
Premium Member
3,242 Posts
Filling the tank up into the top will cause issues sooner or later. Overfilling forces fuel into the EVAP systems vapor canister causing check engine and emissions system codes/failures. Just fill until nozzle clicks off and no more gas past rounding it to the next dollar to avoid PITA emission system issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts