Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· CMF Veteran Member
1,413 Posts
Welcome to the forum.:) It depends on your particular driving conditions. I don't carry excess cargo (either on me :) or in the trunk) and usually get mid-30s but have seen mid-teens in really heavy stop-and-go traffic.

· Registered
434 Posts
I get around 21 for city. But I've actually been averaging almost 27 with city/hwy mix

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,155 Posts
I get 19 around town with my V6.

· Registered
430 Posts
I get around 25 to 30 on average with a mix of city/highway. It all depends on the traffic conditions, temperature, etc. I have a 2009 LTZ with the 2.4L. Sometimes I get 23mpg if I do a lot of aggressive driving.

· Super Moderator
1,604 Posts
There is a couple factors that could be playing in here. One, winter gas depending on where you live, but it will affect gas mileage. Two, if you let your car idle for extended periods. Also, did you reset the average mileage after each fill up, or is this a 3 tank average? Right now, in the middle of winter, I am averaging 19-20 mpg, city, on winter gas and using remote start. During the summer I averaged 22-24 mpg city and 30+ on the highway.

· Registered
17 Posts
I am getting to the age were I am not in a hurry to get places. I pretty much take my time and go with the speed limit. Now my wife is a differant story, she has always had a lead foot. You can see the difference.

· Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2008 LTZ V6 and am averaging 23.5 mpg in mixed driving. On my last tank I got 26.5 with mostly highway :) I drive mine with a light throttle, run 89 octane Shell gas, and have my DIC set to the instant mpg so I know when I'm pushing the accelerator to hard. Yeah, I'm a nerd, but I get close to 400 miles out a tank with a V6!

· Registered
16 Posts
I've had my Taupe Grey LTZ 2.4 A6 for 2 weeks now and I'm getting about 22.5 in the Chicago area. I figure a couple factors. One it's a bran new engine even though there is no break in the car won't achieve it's best gas milage until it's summer blend gas and the car has about 10k on it. The engine is still very tight combined with fact 2 it's been extreamly cold wich would make the engine even tighter. Giv it some time every tank I reset the DIC and the milage goes up. Don't just let it sit on an average since you got the car it will take too long to average it all out.

· Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,655 Posts
The DIC uses preset fuel economy values, not actual fuel consumption. You want the real MPG rating? Divide miles driven on a tank of gas by how much you put in to fill up. Same goes for all cars. Take the computer readout with a grain of salt.

Also, all engines have a break in period regardless of whether the manufacturer suggests it or not. Maximum fuel economy wont happen until around 5000 miles.

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,155 Posts
In another thread you mentioned the DIC uses EPA figures.

Even if the measurement is imperfect and doesn't give the same result as the manual calculation, please site your source suggesting that it uses preset values. We're all ears!

· Registered
175 Posts
I probably have the worst gas mileage on this site lol I get around 15.6 MPG running Sunoco 89 gasoline. I've always ran synthetic oil, just recently did my 30k tune up, changing air fliter etc and I've never gotten anywhere close to 20 mpg in terms of city driving. I dont knowww whats going on but it sucks, I hate it =/ I get around 200 miles on a full tank.And i really dont drive hard. Considering it is winter I do have the heat on alot but even in the summer months I dont see great gas mileage like everyone else out of this 4 banger. I'd be happy with 20 mpg city driving ahhh

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.