Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all. I've got a 2015 Malibu that's just turned over 98,000 miles. I do oil changes on time with full synthetic, use good gas, and keep my filters clean. BlueBook records the average life expectancy of these vehicles to be 150,000 miles, but I'm curious what everyone here has now that they're 6 years old.

I'm also curious who thinks they have the highest recorded mileage on an 8th gen Malibu so far. What to know what's possible.

Thanks everyone.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,931 Posts
Part of that equation is what engine and transmission you have. We don't know those details yet, so please share those.

Also, how would you say you are at driving the car - energetic, mild, moderate? How often do you "give 'er the beans"? On the highway (trips or daily commutes), do you catch up to others and then use the brakes, or do you tend to lift the pedal a bit to slow down when you see that you're starting to catch up to traffic in front of you?

What do you consider "on time" with your oil changes - 3,ooo miles, 5,ooo, 7,ooo, or some other interval?

When was the last time you changed the trans fluid? Has it ever been done?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Part of that equation is what engine and transmission you have. We don't know those details yet, so please share those.

Also, how would you say you are at driving the car - energetic, mild, moderate? How often do you "give 'er the beans"? On the highway (trips or daily commutes), do you catch up to others and then use the brakes, or do you tend to lift the pedal a bit to slow down when you see that you're starting to catch up to traffic in front of you?

What do you consider "on time" with your oil changes - 3,ooo miles, 5,ooo, 7,ooo, or some other interval?

When was the last time you changed the trans fluid? Has it ever been done?
I have a 2015 2lt with the 2.5l ecotec transverse 4 with the 6t45 transmission. I definitely use brakes sparingly and let off the gas on approach. I follow the manufacturer guidelines for all maintenance intervals and use recommended full synthetic oil at 7.5k miles when oil life is low. This car is my daily commuter that sees 20 miles both ways, and several long distance 8+ hour drives a year. Usually just in 6th gear at 55-60 on the highway, there's alot of hills. Usually keep rpms below 2.5-3k. Trans fluid has been changed probably 10-15k miles ago, a shop left me a half a quart low so I did it myself. Shifts great, has a very steady idle, breaks don't squeak, no check engine lights, no tunes, no mods. Always kept clean and I keep a sharp eye for anything out of the ordinary.

I'm not worried about it lasting a good while longer, but I'm really just curious what to expect with exceptional maintenance, or to see who has the highest mileage recorded.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,931 Posts
Since it has no turbo, the plumbing is simpler and there are fewer parts to worry about. Also, less heat under the hood.

There are older models where members have taken them to 190,ooo and sold them running (@repairman54), and some that have gone past 300,ooo miles (@RalphP). Maintenance was the biggest contributor to the long life. Your driving style suggests that you should have no problem getting to 200,ooo and beyond.

My 2011 3.6L V6 is at 152,ooo miles, but the engine was replaced at 94,ooo after throwing one or two rods, so it has "only" 58,ooo on it. The trans is the 6T70 with a tune developed by @cp-the-nerd that has adjusted the shift tables for better performance while using Cruise Control, plus the Torque Management was dialed back to about 25% so the shifts are crisper. I don't lead-foot it like I used to and the car feels like it'll go a lot more miles, possibly to 250,ooo and beyond, without any major concerns. My commute is 11 miles each way, with most of it a freeway, and I use CC all the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey y'all. I've got a 2015 Malibu that's just turned over 98,000 miles. I do oil changes on time with full synthetic, use good gas, and keep my filters clean. BlueBook records the average life expectancy of these vehicles to be 150,000 miles, but I'm curious what everyone here has now that they're 6 years old.

I'm also curious who thinks they have the highest recorded mileage on an 8th gen Malibu so far. What to know what's possible.

Thanks everyone.
2013 LTZ 2.5L with 149,000 miles. Oil Changes (full synthetic) every 3k -4k, other fluids changed on time. So far only had minor issues (sensor gone bad) situations. By no way will I ever have the highest recorded mileage but don't be scared off by the 150,000 avg expectacy. Mr. Malibu is 8 years old and it still drives as it did off the lot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 05 Malibu Maxx ls just turned 374,000 miles on original engine and transmission. Broke one of my mounts the other day. Will be fixed 2 weeks ago had to get shift cable replaced. I called Chevy to tell them about my Maxx's mileage and they sent me a coupon for a free oil . For hitting the 300,000 milestone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2013 ls 2.5l 120,000 miles still drives good and smooth only problem I've had so far on sensor and I had an oil consumption issue that started at 115 000miles but it wasn't going in the plugs still ran good I replaced my valve cover gasket kit and that fixed the issue I'm happy with this car so far and I also had to replace my high pressure fuel injector i replaced my self the bracket had broken off

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks everyone.
so I’m at 215k on my 2014 LT and besides a few annoying issues it’s got no major mechanical problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts