Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone ! Recently bought a 2014 Chevy Malibu lt with the 2.5l engine with 128,000 miles. Previously owned a 2012 Dodge Avenger that totaled in a wreck. When I bought this Malibu everything seems okay at first but weeks after purchase the trans starting shifting irregular and soon after wouldn’t do anything. Ultimately I needed the trans rebuilt which was done and came with a 25k mike warranty on the work. For the first few weeks after the trans rebuild it drove great shifted fine and all. Now I’ve noticed that it’s shifting slightly rough compared to right after it was rebuilt and it sometimes shifts irregularly, but no where near as rough as before when it needed the rebuild. No serious jerks or anything as of right now. But I’m wondering does it need looked at again I mean it doesn’t make sense for the trans to already be having issues since the rebuild a couple weeks ago. Any suggestions out there as to what it could be that’s making it shift weird ? Could do something with timing or the trans Tcm ? Any suggestions would be appreciated if problem continues will definitely get it back in shop to have them check out the trans again but I can’t wrap my head around it I mean how could the trans be acting up so quickly right after a rebuild ? Thanks in advance. Btw this is my first Chevy ever so I’m new to how these Chevys work

Btw forget to mention just changed all spark plugs in it as well. Was gonna replace the intake and exhaust solenoids next but I’m not sure if that will help how it’s shifting idk but it seems that these newer cars can act crazy one little issue can create multiple other issues

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
Step one is to hook up a full spectrum scanner to the car and see what codes are stored in it. Without a full code scan everything is a guess. Take it back so they can scan it before any damage to the rebuilt trans is done.
Just because the trans. was just done doesn't mean something isn't right.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Step one is to hook up a full spectrum scanner to the car and see what codes are stored in it. Without a full code scan everything is a guess. Take it back so they can scan it before any damage to the rebuilt trans is done.
Just because the trans. was just done doesn't mean something isn't right.
I will have a auto parts store check the codes and see what it says. Was planning on changing out the intake and exhaust solenoids as well. If all else fails it’s gotta be something wrong with the rebuilt trans or something wrong with tcm may need to be programmed again . Will keep y’all updated

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
I will have a auto parts store check the codes and see what it says. Was planning on changing out the intake and exhaust solenoids as well. If all else fails it’s gotta be something wrong with the rebuilt trans or something wrong with tcm may need to be programmed again . Will keep y’all updated
Parts store may only scan for P codes for check engine light issues. There are 4 code families that are B,C,P and U that diagnose all the systems. Trans shop will have the ability to read every code.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So after taking it back to the trans shop for a few days they told me the trans isn’t throwing any codes at all, and they test drove it and it’s shifting is fine. They did tell me it has a few engine codes though and that they may be why it feels like that while driving so I will take it to shop and get those codes read. But so far I’m still waiting on the vvt soleniod that so hard to come by I got one coming off of summit racing website should be here in a few weeks it was back ordered . I replaced the spark plugs, the intake and exhaust solenoids, and putting on 4 new coil packs tomorrow . So we will see in the upcoming weeks if replacing these parts will correct what I’m feeling while driving

Also just changed the oil and filter and the air filter on it as well

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trans shop didn’t find anything wrong and so far I replaced the intake & exhaust solenoids, replaced the oil and air filter with oil change, new spark plugs and 4 new coil packs. It got rid of the slight miss I was having around 1500 1000rpm while cruising . But the engine light stays on and I’m thinking it’s the vvt soleniod which nobody can find . Part #916-806 so I created another thread about this part. Hopefully one day I can find it and get that replaced and see if that takes care of it .

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,836 Posts
A few engine codes. Did they tell you what they were at the shop where you took it? Did they suggest parts to replace or did you elect to do that yourself?

I ask because a code doesn't usually mean to replace Part 'X'. It tells you "I'm sick" and someone has to figure out why.

If you have the codes, share them here and our members may be able to give you some good feedback.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
Make the investment in a code reader since your working on your own car. Code reader is more important than hand tools as it's the first tool you reach for when a question or the CEL pops up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So after taking it back to the trans shop for a few days they told me the trans isn’t throwing any codes at all, and they test drove it and it’s shifting is fine. They did tell me it has a few engine codes though and that they may be why it feels like that while driving so I will take it to shop and get those codes read. But so far I’m still waiting on the vvt soleniod that so hard to come by I got one coming off of summit racing website should be here in a few weeks it was back ordered . I replaced the spark plugs, the intake and exhaust solenoids, and putting on 4 new coil packs tomorrow . So we will see in the upcoming weeks if replacing these parts will correct what I’m feeling while driving

Also just changed the oil and filter and the air filter on it as well
I hate to see you blindly replacing parts. Best bet is wait for the codes and resulting troubleshooting before spending a penny.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts