Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was told the other day that there is not a tuner for the 9th gen, or at least 2018 Malibu’s. If this is false, what is a good tuner to use for light tunes such as for a catless exhaust and/or CAI?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,988 Posts
You can tune the 2016-2017 1.5 and 2.0. You can tune the 2018+ 2.0. You cannot tune the 2018+ 1.5 due to a locked ECM.

Reactions: Mynewbu87

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,545 Posts
@campb292 is correct.

Why put an illegal catless exhaust on a family car? On a 2.0T model, you can change the intake and add a catback exhaust without a tune no problem. Not so much for the 1.5T, not that the gains would be worth while anyway.

·
Registered
2016 Malibu 2LT 2.0T 59,000 Miles
7 Posts
There's a few tuners out there that have products for the 9th Gen Malibu that I'm looking at. Everyone knows Trifecta, who sponsors the forum and while having decent performance gains and good support for other bolt-ons. IPF is also very good with their other aftermarket mod support and transparency on what power each level of tune makes at both the wheels and the crank. Vermont is supposedly another one, but I can't seem to find out whether their tune is for 8th Gen 'Bus or early 9th Gens. BadNewsRacing is another company, however their only claim on power is in text with no dyno (but with one of the highest improvements out of anyone else), and only says specific power increases. I'm getting a CAI first before I make my decision, and I'll drop their websites below for whoever is interested, but rn I'm split between IPF and Trifecta to be frankly honest.

BadNewsRacing
Vermont
Trifecta
IPF

·
Registered
904 Posts
You listed mine but I don't know how the admins/mods like discussing companies that aren't forum sponsors. I personally never knew IPF existed. I (along with a bunch of other LTG owners) have a tune from the other 3 letter acronym company.

·
Super Moderator
3,988 Posts
You listed mine but I don't know how the admins/mods like discussing companies that aren't forum sponsors.
There is nothing in the Terms of Use prohibiting discussion of products or services that aren't sponsors. Buried in the Terms there is some language about not soliciting without written approval but I see nothing like that here, only information.

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Registered
7 Posts
You listed mine but I don't know how the admins/mods like discussing companies that aren't forum sponsors. I personally never knew IPF existed. I (along with a bunch of other LTG owners) have a tune from the other 3 letter acronym company.
I actually don't know what 3 letter company you're referring to, as I'm still pretty new to the forum. I should also note that those tuners have tunes for the 2.0T, and there is probably more out there for the 1.5T.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm running a BNR tune. As for 1.5 owners, the ECU is locked from 2018-present.
Oh ok, yeah sorry you threw me off with the 3 letter thing. Anything you noticed after getting the tune?

Also, I believe some of the tuners i mentioned have tools to unlock the ECU

·
Registered
2 Posts
There's a few tuners out there that have products for the 9th Gen Malibu that I'm looking at. Everyone knows Trifecta, who sponsors the forum and while having decent performance gains and good support for other bolt-ons. IPF is also very good with their other aftermarket mod support and transparency on what power each level of tune makes at both the wheels and the crank. Vermont is supposedly another one, but I can't seem to find out whether their tune is for 8th Gen 'Bus or early 9th Gens. BadNewsRacing is another company, however their only claim on power is in text with no dyno (but with one of the highest improvements out of anyone else), and only says specific power increases. I'm getting a CAI first before I make my decision, and I'll drop their websites below for whoever is interested, but rn I'm split between IPF and Trifecta to be frankly honest.

BadNewsRacing
Vermont
Trifecta
IPF
Do you know if there’s anything for the 2018 1.5L yet? Also Ik they have a locked ecm does that include ecu? I’m trying to get some plug n play stuff but idk if it’ll work . Thanks

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,604 Posts
ECM and ECU are interchangeable terms.

By "plug and play", you're talking about what is referred to as a chip. Those work only by tricking the ECM into believing that a the circuit being spoofed is not where it should be and simply adds fuel to compensate. You could easily end up torching your cats.

·
Super Moderator
3,988 Posts
I have a 2018 1.5l I installed a Cold air intake, would the lock on the ECU effect the performance created by the cold air intake?
No because it doesn't create any performance increase to begin with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ill agree to disagree, I could feel a noticeable difference after installing. It is not a lot but acceleration was a lot better and decreased the lag time from the turbo. At least this is to my understanding and observation.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.