Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,561 Posts
ill agree to disagree, I could feel a noticeable difference after installing. It is not a lot but acceleration was a lot better and decreased the lag time from the turbo. At least this is to my understanding and observation.
Which is it? Was it not a lot, or was it a lot? You contradicted yourself twice!

Your Malibu came with a CAI from the factory. If you increase the size of the inlet to the air box, then you have the possibility of getting more air to the filter. If you change the filter to be less restrictive to allow more air flow, it comes at the sacrifice of engine life due to the larger particles being introduced into the cylinders. If you increase the size of the tubing from the air box to the engine, you run the risk of throwing CEL codes.

Most CAI kits or DIY modifications come at the cost of allowing more hot air from the engine compartment to be ingested. Turbos don't like hot air.

Feeling a noticeable difference is a good thing. But to make most of the rest of us truly believe, we'd need exhaustive testing on a dyno and/or a drag strip, both before and after the modification, or we're just taking your word for it. I'm not saying you can't be believed. I'm simply saying that folks prefer to verify with solid facts rather than relying on the seat of someone else's pants.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Which is it? Was it not a lot, or was it a lot? You contradicted yourself twice!

Your Malibu came with a CAI from the factory. If you increase the size of the inlet to the air box, then you have the possibility of getting more air to the filter. If you change the filter to be less restrictive to allow more air flow, it comes at the sacrifice of engine life due to the larger particles being introduced into the cylinders. If you increase the size of the tubing from the air box to the engine, you run the risk of throwing CEL codes.

Most CAI kits or DIY modifications come at the cost of allowing more hot air from the engine compartment to be ingested. Turbos don't like hot air.

Feeling a noticeable difference is a good thing. But to make most of the rest of us truly believe, we'd need exhaustive testing on a dyno and/or a drag strip, both before and after the modification, or we're just taking your word for it. I'm not saying you can't be believed. I'm simply saying that folks prefer to verify with solid facts rather than relying on the seat of someone else's pants.
I completely understand, I would love to see the results from the before and after. I have not had the opportunity to look into places yet because I am currently working in Germany. All i can suggest is my own experience and what I have observed. There was a noticeable difference between the two. I understand that adding this comes with a cost and I am ok with this.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,561 Posts
I completely understand, I would love to see the results from the before and after. I have not had the opportunity to look into places yet because I am currently working in Germany. All i can suggest is my own experience and what I have observed. There was a noticeable difference between the two. I understand that adding this comes with a cost and I am ok with this.
That added cost should be made clear when suggesting the mod to others. There's nothing worse than finding out after the fact.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.