Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been curious driving down the road and seeing other '08-'09 Mablibus and wanting to figure out what model they have. Obviously you can tell if it is a LT, LS, LTZ with the badging on the trunk if it's there (mine isnt). The side markers up front tell if it is an '08 or '09, but what else sets them apart? A hybrind has a hybrid badge. If you can see the paddle shifters it's a 6 speed. What about the exhaust? Are all 6 cylinder engines dual exhaust, or do some 4's have that as well. Do any of the 6's have a single exhaust? Leather interior is LTZ, but is ultralux limited to only 2LT, or can you get it on a 1LT? LTZs are easy to spot, but Im curious to know what sets the LS, 1LT, 2LT, 4cyl and 6cyl apart.

·
Registered
795 Posts
For LS, 1LT, 2LT, LTZ I look at the wheels.
To tell a 4cyl LTZ from the 6, I believe the 4cyl only has a single exhaust outlet.

·
Registered
569 Posts
We have both 4cyl and V6 LTZ,

The 4cyl has single exhaust and mine has dual

The wheels are the same but the finish is difference..

The 4cyl is painted silver and mine have a polished face to the wheel and silver back side

·
Registered
795 Posts
The 4cyl is painted silver
I never noticed the difference on the 4 cyl LTZ wheel. From a distance I thought the finish was the same. I'll check it out the next time I spot a 4 cyl LTZ on the lot.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The easiest way to tell the LS is:

1. The mirrors are not body color. They are black plastic.
2. There is no chrome tip on the exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I never noticed the difference on the 4 cyl LTZ wheel. From a distance I thought the finish was the same. I'll check it out the next time I spot a 4 cyl LTZ on the lot.
Yeah, At first I didnt notice it because its not that big of a difference but there is.. I will check on my window sticker to see if there is a wording difference on the rmis

·
Registered
569 Posts
Here is a pic, My V6 rims have a polished almost chrome looking face to them where as our 4cyl is silver over the whole rim.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Interesting they did not finish the wheels the same. Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Also, the LTZ comes with the chrome handles..... in addition to 18" rims, and 6 cyl comes with the lovely dual exhaust

·
Registered
512 Posts
All Chevrolet LTZ models have chrome grilles.

Well, at least from here on out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Doesn't the LTZ have chrome door handles too?
ETA: I see someone already mentioned this...

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Those LTZ wheels are NOT different on 4-cyl vs. V6 models--check out more of them, on the lots.

malibudragon, I think what you're seeing is just your LTZ V6 that was built earlier than your 4-cyl one, and the very faint '09 LTZ wheel finish change that was made didn't occur until after yours. Basically, you have the '08 LTZ wheels on yours--how early is the build date? I noticed this very faint wheel finish different when shopping LTZ's back in the fall vs. all the '08s I was familiar with, and could never pinpoint what it was, since it was so slight, but knew it was something. All LTZ's have the same wheels, powertrain regardless, so the point made here is just due to a rare circumstance.

I'll post a little more detailed model breakdown with pictures and such in a bit.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Those LTZ wheels are NOT different on 4-cyl vs. V6 models--check out more of them, on the lots.

malibudragon, I think what you're seeing is just your LTZ V6 that was built earlier than your 4-cyl one, and the very faint '09 LTZ wheel finish change that was made didn't occur until after yours. Basically, you have the '08 LTZ wheels on yours--how early is the build date? I noticed this very faint wheel finish different when shopping LTZ's back in the fall vs. all the '08s I was familiar with, and could never pinpoint what it was, since it was so slight, but knew it was something. All LTZ's have the same wheels, powertrain regardless, so the point made here is just due to a rare circumstance.

I'll post a little more detailed model breakdown with pictures and such in a bit.

Beach, I was not implying that it "was" a difference between 4 and 6 cylinders.. I was only showing that there was a difference in mine.. Both of these were early build 09's

·
Registered
569 Posts
Beach,

Just went back through pictures and both years have both finishes.. I myself have 2 2009's with Silver and Polished Rims and There are members pictures showing both Silver and Polished on there 08's

So why the difference? both our 09's are early builds as well as both window stickers say "18" Wheels, Bright Aluminum" The wording is different for 2009's on the chevy site and they say "18-inch 10-spoke bright-finish aluminum wheels".. Also both our 09's say the Assembly plant was Kansas City

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
malibudragon - There is a wheel finish difference, no doubt, and though we may still have to track down the when & where, I've shopped and examined enough 2009 LTZ's to know that the wheels are not different on 4-cyl vs. V6 powered ones by any means. You may seen some with one and some with the other, but it has nothing to do with the engine but rather a wheel change across the board at some point.

I first noticed this "something" on the first couple of '09 LTZ's I tried out in September, both 4-cyl and V6, both vs. another '08 LTZ on a lot and just what I had remembered. The same wheels, but something was different--still just don't know when it happened, or if there was a definitive date that it did yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.