Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Giant crack in windshield!! UPDATE!!!

So it seems that a giant crack has developed in my windshield. It runs from the top of the glass in the center of the windshield where the mirror is located, to the bottom of the black area where the mirror is, and about a foot to the left.

Anyways, I want a direct OEM replacement for the windshield. I'm worried that if some random windshield company comes out and replaces it in the parking lot of where I work that it won't be the original windshield that I want. I have glass coverage in my insurance, and never had to have a windshield replaced in my 15 years of owning cars. I was just wondering if you folks can help me out with this at all. thanks.

·
Registered
749 Posts
When you take it to a body shop tell them you want the glass OEM only. They'll find it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Most places will only use OEM glass on a windshield due to the safety features. Ive replaced many over the years froma couple different repair shops and both said they dont mess with anything that is off-brand.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Ask your dealer's body shop which glass installer they use. I have just been through a painful 18 months trying to get the glass shop that replaced the windshield in my Corvette to fix leaks. It turns out they used a substandard windshield and failed to install the weatherstip correctly. My insurance authorized another complete replacement. This time I went through the dealer's body shop and the company they recommended for doing the repair. It was immediately obvious the glass was better and they did a terrific job on the installation. Not all glass shops are the same.

Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys! I'm getting it replaced on Monday with OEM glass thru the company my dealer supplied me with. I'd like it done sooner seeing the temperature has been 40 degrees one day and 10 degrees the next. I can actually see the crack getting bigger by the hour!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had my windshield replaced and they used OEM without asking. It cost about $470 all told. Damn rock almost went through my windshield.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I do want to mention that any glass company HAS to use DOT approved windshields on replacements and all glass HAS to have a DOT SAE etching on it in the lower corner of the glass. So you shouldn't have any problem with replacement glass no matter who the manufacturer is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've heard the windshield on the 08-09 malibus is a special laminate with sound-absorbing clear rubber sandwiched between the glass. Is this true? If so, that would be another reason to make sure you are getting the OEM windshield.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE!!!
So I get my glass replaced which is the acoustic OEM glass. Same glass as before.

Now what I forgot to mention earlier. There always has been a decent amount of wind noise coming from the passenger side on the bottom of the windshield since I got the car new, I have been meaning to bring it in, but haven't had the time to do so. I always read how quiet these cars are supposed to be so I knew something was wrong. I asked the windshield guy if he can check it out.

I come back out later and he tells me that the windshield was already replaced once, probably by the dealer, and when they replaced it they did a garbage job and didn't seal the windshield properly!! There was no glue where the sound was coming from!! When I got the car it was brand new!! I do realize that a stone could of chipped it during transit, but don't they have to disclose all of that before they sell me the car?? Anyways just thought it was a pretty interesting story, and maybe you folks would have some thoughts on this. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I do want to mention that any glass company HAS to use DOT approved windshields on replacements and all glass HAS to have a DOT SAE etching on it in the lower corner of the glass. So you shouldn't have any problem with replacement glass no matter who the manufacturer is.

Yeah, but the Malibu windshield is laminated glass for sound proofing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the clarification on that. So, all front windshields are laminated by DOT regulations. What the new Malibu and a few other cars have is that the side windows are laminated as well.

In that case, I'm surprised someone didn't think of doing this before--but I'm glad someone is doing it now. It sure makes for a quiet ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.